are Poseidon Pro Fins DIR or NOT?

Are Poseidon Pro Fins DIR or not?

• YES!

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Definitely NOT!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supervisor

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if the Poseidon Pro Fins are DIR or not?

Unless it's a split fin in a silty environment, or where lines are being run. I think.

Just replace the straps with spring straps and they should be fine. No-one is going to chew you out for not using genuine Jet Fins or Turtles. Halcyon wings aside, I see very few references to specific makes or models of equipment that are "DIR" approved - usually a list of features is given that a piece of equipment should have - in the case of fins, spring straps and a non-split design. Apeks regs for example are specifically mentioned as gear to avoid in the fundamentals book for example because of the 1/2" port! Doesn't stop people from using them though. George Irvine uses TX100s with the 1/2" port.

When I took my DIRF class, we were NEVER told that a specific brand of equipment had to be used. It was recommended that the fins be stiff enough to do some of the new kicks we were taught (like the back kick) adequately.

Some of the "trick" fins such as Volo's and Split Fins did not perform well using these kicks.

The reason Jetfins are preferred is because they perform all of the kicks well, and doesnt require a special technique to use. In fact, I have found my Jet fins work just by doing a bicycle kick or sculling your ankles slightly.

Since the picture you posted seems to be patterned after the Jetfins, I would assume they possess some of the same qualities. If they do, then I would have to say IMHO that yes, they would be considered "DIR."

But once again: It is NOT the BRAND (or color) but rather the QUALITIES that makes a certain piece "DIR" or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom