Are mask leaks normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba masks aren't supposed to leak, mine don't leak a drop, nor do I have to position the mask any particular/special way, I just put it on and go diving! Fitting a mask for someone over the internet is difficult, you need to put yourself in a position to try lots of masks (borrow/rent from dive shops/friends). My Atomic Aquatics frameless (black) mask has worked fine for any diver I've ever loaned it to, so that's as good a recommendation as I have for you at this point. You might shop for a mask with a VERY soft silicone skirt (Mares Liquidskin or Apollo Bio Metal PRO Mask) Among my mask 'collection' I've got one of the Apollo Bio Metal PRO masks ( $ 225 @ Leisure Pro ) The soft silicone is comfortable and is pliable enough to fit those more difficult faces. I'm presently diving the Atomic Aquatics frameless / Apollo Bio Metal--$ 105 / Apollo Bio Metal PRO-- $ 225.

I must have the same face as the mannequin they use for a mold, because all my masks have been leak-free. Of course, they occasionally leak, if the strap is misplaced or twisted, for example, but generally they don't. I find a neoprene slap-strap makes correct donning easier.

Diving simply isn't fun if your mask doesn't fit.

But I thought the Q was about leaking?

I wish someone would use my face as template for a mask skirt mold; I have never found a mask that does not leak.

Of course I have so much fun diving that my smile/laugh lines are most likely going to leak except with a full face mask. :idk:

Could be a hood or snorkel issue. Ran into this the first time a few weeks ago diving in OBX. I use an Atomic subframe mask and have never had a leak, but for some reason, the left side kept leaking on this dive, forcing me to clear it every minute or so. Really annoying. I thought it was my hood, since I had never worn one before. I tried to feel and it felt clear and had my buddy look, but they couldn't find any issue that could be causing it either. On the second dive, I managed to fix the issue. Best I could figure is that the hood changed the shape of my face enough that the snorkel pulling on the left side caused a small leak. I left the snorkel off for the second dive and the issue was magically fixed. No leaks for the entire dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom