Are mask leaks normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm having a problem with mask leaks, and finding one that doesn't leak, I have a deep-see snorkling mask, and it works great at shollow depths wight no leak. I've tried aqua-lung and they leak really bad even at shallow depths. I'm using a seadive and an edge, and they don't leak as bad, but i spend alot of time clearing my mask. It seems to leak around my cheek bones.

They're not infrequent but ideally it should not be happening constantly. There are several reasons for why your mask(s) is/are leaking. Some of the more common reasons for leaky masks are having hair trapped under the skirt so it doesn't seal properly, having the mask strap too loose, and having the mask strap too tight.

Here's a link to another thread that may help address the issue you're having.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/376563-how-tight-make-mask.html

But look on the bright side, at least it forces you to practice clearing your mask often. :D

Mask fit is also very idiosyncratic. I had to go through three masks before I found one that didn't leak at all.

No, a leaking mask is not normal. It's possible that your mask doesn't fit properly, the strap is adjusted too tight, something (hair, hood, etc.) is preventing the mask skirt from sealing properly, or you are inadvertently exhaling through your nose.

I cannot say for certain why your snorkeling mask leaks at deeper depths but appears to work just fine in shallow water. Generally speaking, however, scuba masks are made with better materials than masks meant for topside activities. Scuba masks incorporate tempered glass and good-quality silicone skirts into their design. This is not necessarily true with snorkeling masks.

The sheer number of available masks on the market can be overwhelming to a novice diver. I would advise you to shop for a dive mask at a local dive shop. A knowledgeable dive shop employee and/or experienced diver should be able to help you select a mask that fits your face. Understand that just because a mask seems to fit you in the shop, it doesn't necessarily mean that the mask will work underwater. The mere fact that a regulator is in your mouth could very well change the contours of your face (position of lower jaw, cheek shape, etc.). For this reason, it might be helpful to bring along your regulator mouthpiece while you try on masks in the store. When I had to replace my mask a few years ago, that's exactly what I did.

Finding the right mask for you is very much a trial-and-error process. Some brick-and-mortar dive shops and online retailers have very liberal return policies when it comes to a dive mask. If you can find such a shop, take advantage of this "personal fit guarantee." Diving simply isn't fun if your mask doesn't fit.

Once you find a mask that works for you, buy at least one more identical mask as a backup. There's nothing more frustrating than finding out that the one mask that fits your face has been discontinued by the gear manufacturer. A good quality scuba mask should last several years if you take care of it.

For more info about finding the right mask for you, read spectrum's essay on the subject. It contains a lot of great info.

Good luck!

I agree that while it may be common, it's not something that is a given. I have found a mask style that fits me without leaking unless something is wrong/unusual (Yes, I have bought a second one as a backup).

The few times it has leaked it was due to one of the following, and when I corrected it, no leaks:

1) I smiled/laughed underwater
2) A stray hair was inadvertently caught under the seal
3) Strap slid down too far on the back of my head.
3) A hood that fit over my chin and apparently changed the shape of my face enough to make my mask leak (too me a while to figure that out but now I just keep the hood's chin tucked under my chin and my mask is back to normal, i.e. no leaking.

So, there is definitely hope for a non-leaking mask, and if I were you I would not give up without trying quite a few. Some shops will let you try them out before you buy (or at least exchange for another model if the first one leaks).

Now I want to try a frameless mask, but if it doesn't fit really well, without leaking.... no, it won't be a keeper.

I went through 4 or 5 masks before I found one that didn't leak.

Even now I have to get a few things just so to make it work well:

1) Strap goes high on back of head to keep mask tight under my nose.
2)I shave before diving. A couple of days stubble guarantees a leak.
3)Only bite down gently on my reg.Clenching it tightly (e.g. when nervous) makes it leak.

I've tried a few, and usually got at least a little leaking. Then, using an Atomic Aquatics Subframe mask, I tried something I'd heard about somewhere...

I took a little silicon grease & rubbed it in the creases that run from the corners of my nose toward the sides of my mouth, basically the cheek margins. On recent dives, that seems to have stopped it cold.

Richard.

They're not infrequent but ideally it should not be happening constantly. There are several reasons for why your mask(s) is/are leaking. Some of the more common reasons for leaky masks are having hair trapped under the skirt so it doesn't seal properly, having the mask strap too loose, and having the mask strap too tight.

Here's a link to another thread that may help address the issue you're having.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/376563-how-tight-make-mask.html

But look on the bright side, at least it forces you to practice clearing your mask often. :D

Too lose should not make your mask leak, the strap is really only there to keep it in place, a too tight will make your mask leak. My mask only leaks if I laugh otherwise I very rarely have to clear. I have a small face and up until trying the Atomic Frameless (medium) every other mask I owned leaked, often horribly.

I have gone thru more masks than I can remember. I have a big head (goes with my 6'3" body) and find that a lot of masks have a narrow inner skirt seal that doesn't work well for me. Additionally, I have found that putting the mask on in front of a mirror, turning sideways to see as much of the profile as possible and adusting the strap up or down until it is perpendicular to the faceplate, and then remembering that position, works best for me. Generally, the strap should be a bit lower than you would think .... too high on the crown of your head may cause the seal under your nose to leak slightly.

Back
Top Bottom