Are Atomics worth the cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at replacing my 15 year old Mares Abyss with some new gear and keeping the Mares as a back set.

If you pick up any dive comparisons, the Atomic get the most ink. It can also the most expensive (T3).

I live in South Florida, so getting enough use out of them is no problem. But the prices- wow!

Just want to know what the board thinks. Thanks.

Yes, but worth the hype? Are they really soooo much better than those from other manufacturers?

Yes, but worth the hype? Are they really soooo much better than those from other manufacturers?
Do you believe the sources that prompted this:
If you pick up any dive comparisons, the Atomic get the most ink.
If so, I think you have your answer.

Every Atomic from the $409 Z2 to the $1699 T3 breathes the same - even Atomic states that on their website. The difference is the materials used. And convenience things like the 1st stage turret or 2nd stage swivel. The better models use more Titanium which also helps with both the service interval and durability. My weight integrated rig once fell off the back of a truck, it bounced off the yoke. I picked it up, brushed the dirt off and went diving. And dove it thru the next year b4 service was due.

My own opinion is that they're the best regs I've ever owned. I started with a B1 and now dive a T2. I doubt they'll ever break for the rest of my diving career but if they do I'll buy another one. They breathe effortlessly in any position I've tried - and since I shoot video I've been in some unconventional ones. I can't say that about any other reg I've used in my limited exposure - most breathe harder when you look up inverted. If I didn't own Atomic, I'd probably own Apeks. If I could get a good deal on a DIN ST1 I'd have one of those also.

One advantage the "3's" have - there's a Z3 now for $529 - is that a 3 year service interval is standard. I pay $60 every other year for my T2 service. If you extend that out, that's $20/yr. for service. Some parts kits from other mfr's cost that much. I don't know if it's the norm but my dealer throws in free parts.

You are right. No product lives up to the hype you read about on the internet.

That being said, an Atomic Z2 at $400 or a Z3 at $500, are probably the best regulators for that price range. My 12 year old Z1 is as good as the day I bought it.

I own a Z3, a B1, and the fiance owns the B2. All the regs breathe exactly the same (which has been stated here multiple times), but I get to experience 3 different Atomics every time I go diving, and its amazing that the truly are the same. I have used several regs in the pools, and always love the atomics and thats why our house is full of them.

For me, that's where my dollars will always end up.

i love my z2X --- only thing i might change is the the swivel out for a longer flex braid. the atomics work great in south florida from beach dives to deep dives. just make sure whatever you get/use for an octo has the ip set properly. or get a 2nd atomic as an octo even better.

I love my B2, I changed out the swivel hose for a 44 inch Myflex with a 110 degree adaptor and a Seacure mouth piece, run it under my arm. Breaths awesome and is so comfortable I don't even think about it.

What, exactly, do you think is the big price difference? A new Mares Abyss 22 is going to run you more than a Z2 and almost as much as a Z2X or Z3, and will require service twice as often. It's also made and supported by Mares, not AA.

I dive Atomics, but I haven't bought one at MSRP since my first one (yoke ST1, now rigged with M1 seconds and working as my single tank rig). Given that you can buy used Atomics relatively cheaply (most of my M1s were in the $300-$350 range) and have AA sort them out completely at a relatively low cost (about $150 for a complete and total factory overhaul that will probably see most of the cosmetic parts replaced, too, IME)...I don't find them that expensive and they're definitely excellent regs.

My only complaint is they haven't offered the Dr. Lecter Special for factory order yet: ST1 first stage body with M1 monel internals, custom hose lengths, M1 second stages with cave rings and magnum levers :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom