Are Aqualung steel tanks any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
How do these 3.5 Aqualung tanks compare to say PST?
Are they junk?

I noticed the neck is smaller diameter than many other steel tanks.

Just curious..... thanks for any replies.

Some are coated internally or externally with various organic compounds. Some can be removed when necessary for service, some can't. Most have a hot dip galvanized coating under any external finish, but a few years production in the 60's didn't.

1/2" valves come in straight with O-ring or NGT thread. NGT thread tanks make good O2 bottles with a good scrubbing and valve change. NGT yoke valves are not available at reasonable price. Replacement o-ring seal straight vavle are not available new at any price, so if the valve is hosed unless you can find another used valve that can be repaired so is the tank.

FT

I'll have to look at the numbers on the tanks. I believe they were manufactured in 1998.

These steel HP 80 tanks currently have Genesis valves with crossover (dual setup). The valves overhang about 1/8" or so over the neck of the tanks, as the tank necks are noticeably narrow, compared to most steel HP tanks.

My LDS did say they had trouble getting tank o-rings that would fit. Not sure if that were true or if they were just inept (large chain store). The LDS was not too convincing that they had installed the correct tank to valve o-rings either.

Thanks for your knowledge.

DOT E9791-3500-TP 5250 7-98

1A648715R

Looks like made in 98.

Do you believe that ANY DIN valve would fit these tanks or just a specific valve? As I said.... it appears that the tanks have Genesis valves on them currently.

Thanks again.

Believe him, they are.

After Sherwood lost the PST "Genesis" HP tanks USD/Aqualung got an exclusive on all the PST dive tanks. However most USD/AL dealers didn't have a clue what to do with them and would just keep one or two on the floor so they could lecture anyone who tried to buy them on the evils of steel tanks. PST eventually pulled the exclusive and started selling steels to just about everyone.

And now AL has an exclusive on Dreager rec RBs...............

BlueDolphin once bubbled...
Hmmmmm..... these are PST brand tanks!?

This is a "good" thing right? PST tanks are great (well I like my HP120).

No problems with the earlier ones having the narrow necks? No problems getting o-rings to fit the tank right?

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Dolphin, not many people would have noticed that the later PST HP tanks (sold as generic or 'Aquaaire') have a slightly thicker neck than earlier versions, which means the majority of those manufactured. My compliments.

There is no difference in the quality or safety of the two types of 7/8-14 threaded neck. However, it is usually a good idea to have a strong neck to control expansion in the throat area of the tank. One factoid, if you look carefully you will see that PST tapered the thicker neck slightly to match up the slender DIN valve body.

The PST HP tank is a marvelous accomplishment. However, I understand that PST is now making a HP tank with a slightly lower rating, 3442 psi and the neck is no longer 7/8 NMT but standard 3/4 NSPT, like on aluminum tanks.

Edit: Whoops! After rereading your message I realize that your question was much more elementary than I took it to be. I threw the ball clean over your head. Yep, those funny looking tanks with the little necks were sold under differing brand names, as 'hacker' and others said. They're good tanks. They have the small neck to comply with some obscure European reg that says that HP tanks must have unique neck size to prevent fitting of LP valves borrowed from the large neck tanks.

Pesky

Yea... my valves that I have on the tanks now... hang over the lip of the tank neck about 1/8". It looks kinda weird. But I guess it is safe, and is holding air. As I mentioned now there are genesis valves on the tanks with a crossover manifold (isolator).

Back
Top Bottom