Arctic vs Halo 3D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavemanScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a DUI FLX Extreme Drysuit that I just got and I am trying to decide on an undergarment to use with it. I am trying to decide between a Fourth Element Halo 3D or a Fourth Element Arctic. I have tried on the Halo 3D, and I like the concept, but the chest “pads” just seem awkward to me. Maybe it is no big deal when actually diving, but it seems like it would limit flexibility. The arctic seems more flexible and it wouldn’t hinder movement at all, and I noticed Fourth Element now has Core, which is a core warmer of sorts.

Most of my diving is recreational, but I just got TDI tech certified last year and I would like to do some more technical diving. I am wondering if the arctic would be good for most of my recreational diving, and then add the core warmer for tech? Or would a Halo cover all of my diving? Is the Halo too warm for recreational diving? I also have a set of Xerotherms that I could add underneath either suit if necessary. So maybe the Arctic and add the Xerotherms underneath for tech? Or would that be too bulky?

Also, I have read that the Halo 3D can limit mobility and make valve drills more difficult. Is there any truth to this?

As a little background, I used to dive a Bare XCD2 that I wore an arctic top and xerotherm bottom underneath – or the Bare 200g one piece suit. I want to go to a Fourth Element one piece suit though. So I am looking at the Halo 3D vs. Arctic 1-piece.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that the Halo is significantly warmer than the Arctics.

The padding is not obtrusive or irritating underwater at all. I DID find that the combination of the SiTech user-replaceable neck ring and the shoulder padding on the Halo made reaching my isolator very difficult. Whether that would be true for someone with broader shoulders or not, I don't know.

I'd put the Halo, the Whites MK3, and the Whites Thermal Fusion in very similar classes for warmth -- the MK3 may be slightly warmer than the TF, but it's significantly bulkier and requires more weight. I have used the TF and MK3 in water from 43 degrees to the high 50's and been comfortable.

The panels are only in the chest. The arms and legs of the Halo 3D are still the powerstretch thinsulate. I noticed no difference in valve drills, but I sized my drysuit for thick undergarments. If your drysuit fits snug, it the drysuit may limit your mobility.

I'm 5'8", ~158 lb, 32" waist / 37" chest. My BMI is about 20.

During the summer, with bottom temps around the mid-40s/low-50s, I wear the 4th Element Arctic 2-piece over the Xerotherm 2 piece, with a drybase layer. I also use an Otter Bay 12mm hood. I recently added dry gloves.

During early spring, late fall, and winter when the water is in the high 30s, I use the Halo 3D + xerotherm + drybase.

I'm going to give the Halo 3D a shot by itself with just the drybase layer once the water is in the low 40s. In 46F-50F water with the Halo 3D + Xerotherm, I was much too hot.

The panels are only in the chest. The arms and legs of the Halo 3D are still the powerstretch thinsulate. I noticed no difference in valve drills, but I sized my drysuit for thick undergarments. If your drysuit fits snug, it the drysuit may limit your mobility.

I'm 5'8", ~158 lb, 32" waist / 37" chest. My BMI is about 20.

During the summer, with bottom temps around the mid-40s/low-50s, I wear the 4th Element Arctic 2-piece over the Xerotherm 2 piece, with a drybase layer. I also use an Otter Bay 12mm hood. I recently added dry gloves.

During early spring, late fall, and winter when the water is in the high 30s, I use the Halo 3D + xerotherm + drybase.

I'm going to give the Halo 3D a shot by itself with just the drybase layer once the water is in the low 40s. In 46F-50F water with the Halo 3D + Xerotherm, I was much too hot.

Are you happy with the Halo? What size Halo 3D are you using? I'm 5'11-6'0" and I tried on a Halo 3D in large and found that I got some pulling in the crotch and the arms might have been a tad short. Maybe a large tall is needed.

I noticed you are from MI....I am in Grand Rapids.

Are you happy with the Halo? What size Halo 3D are you using? I'm 5'11-6'0" and I tried on a Halo 3D in large and found that I got some pulling in the crotch and the arms might have been a tad short. Maybe a large tall is needed.

I noticed you are from MI....I am in Grand Rapids.

Neat, I'm a stone's throw away! My group will be up in your area in about July, hitting up Ironsides.

I am wearing a size medium Halo 3D. If you go off the size chart, I am a small, BUT that does not factor in if you're wearing anything underneath.

In your case, I would probably put you in a large-tall, or a medium-tall if you are fairly skinny.

Neat, I'm a stone's throw away! My group will be up in your area in about July, hitting up Ironsides.

I am wearing a size medium Halo 3D. If you go off the size chart, I am a small, BUT that does not factor in if you're wearing anything underneath.

In your case, I would probably put you in a large-tall, or a medium-tall if you are fairly skinny.

Ha...not skinny. Gonna go with the large-tall I guess.

I have not done the ironsides yet. Tried a few times, but it just hasn't worked out. I would love to do it someday. I do most of my wreck diving in the Straits, or Milwaukee area. Hitting up the Whitefish area this summer.

Ha...not skinny. Gonna go with the large-tall I guess.

I have not done the ironsides yet. Tried a few times, but it just hasn't worked out. I would love to do it someday. I do most of my wreck diving in the Straits, or Milwaukee area. Hitting up the Whitefish area this summer.

Ironsides was magnificent when we dove it! There was a particulate cloud from the surface to about 40 ft, but past that, it was clear.

[video=youtube;y6brRje39NM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6brRje39NM[/video]

You're more than welcome to join us if you desire.

I've been asking people the same thing, and everyone says the Halo is significantly warmer. Which it better be, since it's over twice the cost of Arctics! Fourth Element's site recommends Halo + Xerotherm for 28 degree water....so I'd think it'd be hellishly warm in the 50s and 60s, but plenty of tech divers in SoCal seem to wear it so mileage varies. I'm hoping the combo will keep me warm for 3 hour shallow rec dives in the mid 50s.

Can anyone explain the difference between Xerotherm and Drybase? And, what is with the Xerotherm Arctics I see on some sites? It looks to be a combination of Xerotherm + Arctics, but I'm not sure if you can use it as a base layer in the same way as the current Xerotherm, or it'd be way too thick as a base layer.

I've been asking people the same thing, and everyone says the Halo is significantly warmer. Which it better be, since it's over twice the cost of Arctics! Fourth Element's site recommends Halo + Xerotherm for 28 degree water....so I'd think it'd be hellishly warm in the 50s and 60s, but plenty of tech divers in SoCal seem to wear it so mileage varies. I'm hoping the combo will keep me warm for 3 hour shallow rec dives in the mid 50s.

Can anyone explain the difference between Xerotherm and Drybase? And, what is with the Xerotherm Arctics I see on some sites? It looks to be a combination of Xerotherm + Arctics, but I'm not sure if you can use it as a base layer in the same way as the current Xerotherm, or it'd be way too thick as a base layer.

I'm pretty sure the drybase is a light wicking layer with no thermal properties. I have a set of Xerotherms and I can tell you there is some thermal protection (basically like a 100g thinsulate) with them. I believe some sites incorrectly call them Xerotherm Arctics since they are made of the same material. I believe the Arctics are essentially 2 layers of Xerotherm (but I could be wrong).

I'm pretty sure the drybase is a light wicking layer with no thermal properties. I have a set of Xerotherms and I can tell you there is some thermal protection (basically like a 100g thinsulate) with them. I believe some sites incorrectly call them Xerotherm Arctics since they are made of the same material. I believe the Arctics are essentially 2 layers of Xerotherm (but I could be wrong).

Correct!

The Xerotherm = XT250 = 250g powerstretch thinsulate
The Arctic = XT500 = 500g poerstretch thinsulate

Drybase is a synthetic material, worn close to the skin to promote wicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom