Aquatica vs Subal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested to hear from slr users what their preferred brand of housing is? I have almost narrowed my choice down between Aquatica and subal(it appears Nauticam doesn't make a 5dmkii housing). Both look very well made and have a Back button focus option which is a must have. If anyone with real world experience with these two housing manufacturers could chime in that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Did Nauticam never make a housing or has it just disappeared from their website? Seems like Subal is the only housing you can buy new though it looks like Ikelite may sell you a big Perspex box for that model. The Aquatica is marked as discontinued.

Personally the limited housing availability would be a red flag for me, housings certainly seem to have come a long way since the 5D II was released 10 years or so ago. If you are spending all that money......Get the housing you want it's generally at least double the price of the camera and if the housing you want doesn't have a model for your camera, get a different camera. I would be concerned that you may have trouble finding parts for a housing that has been long discontinued, like service kits and O rings.

I would also check the port options for the lenses you are considering shooting with for the housing system you are considering.

I found it very hard to go past what Nauticam offers,, the vacuum system, port lock and ergonomics are well thought out. Have you considered buying a second hand 5D-III or a 6D so you can buy a current Nauticam housing. Dealer support also seems good, with a few dealers selling them.

All great points. I would only ever buy a used housing for my 10 year old camera. My next purchase will be a 5dmk4. The reason I was interested in Subal and Aquatica is the ports are the same for all housings and are future proof.

Apparently Subal is in some financial difficulties; and in bankruptcy proceedings, proceed with caution.
Bill

Nice post I have been asking myself the same question, I own a 5dm2 and want to upgrade to the 5dm4 for the same reason, and I was between aquatica and Nauticam. Also if I am investing that much money into a new system I was also considering going for the nikon D850, or is the 5dm4 a better option??

I've had my Aquatica T2i housing for 4 years, and it is rock solid/bulletproof, etc. Have traveled extensively with it, as well as shot local (Catalina, pools with both chlorine and ozone, etc.), and never an issue. The folks at Aquatica are great, as well. Have been to their office/factory in Canada. Annual service (every 2 to 3 years) done by Pacific Housing Repair.

Merry and I have had three Subal housings. They are incredible. Subal is currently restructuring through bankruptcy. They have transferred housing manufacturing from Austria to Serbia and their office and repair facility is moving closer to Vienna. The housings are made with CNC machines, so there should be no difference in quality. It sounds like machinists in Serbia are paid less than their Austrian counterparts. The company I worked for lost a lot of CNC business to a company in Mexico, so I understand Subal's motives.

Nice post I have been asking myself the same question, I own a 5dm2 and want to upgrade to the 5dm4 for the same reason, and I was between aquatica and Nauticam. Also if I am investing that much money into a new system I was also considering going for the nikon D850, or is the 5dm4 a better option??
If you already own a 5D Mk2, then I would upgrade to the 5D Mk4 rather than the Nikon D850. It can be very expensive to switch from one brand to another especially when you consider not only the camera body but also what I am guessing is a sizeable investment in lenses (perhaps even a few "L Series" lenses). If you do switch to another brand of body, I would consider the Sony A7R iii. It can use all of your Canon lenses with a Metabones adapter and several manufacturers make housings for it.

I like that mirrorless cameras are smaller but I have been reading that their battery life is a deal breaker, so that brings me to the conclusion that is better to go for the 5dm4.
Does a mirrorless camera offer what a dslr offer?

If you already own a 5D Mk2, then I would upgrade to the 5D Mk4 rather than the Nikon D850. It can be very expensive to switch from one brand to another especially when you consider not only the camera body but also what I am guessing is a sizeable investment in lenses (perhaps even a few "L Series" lenses). If you do switch to another brand of body, I would consider the Sony A7R iii. It can use all of your Canon lenses with a Metabones adapter and several manufacturers make housings for it.

I like that mirrorless cameras are smaller but I have been reading that their battery life is a deal breaker, so that brings me to the conclusion that is better to go for the 5dm4.
Does a mirrorless camera offer what a dslr offer?
I shoot a Canon 6D above the surface and a Sony A6000 underwater. I went with the A6000 specifically because of its size and that it had an APS-C sized sensor. While I was on the LOB, I was easily getting 3 dives (usually 4) out of a battery. Having said that, I always had a spare battery that was fully charged available and ready to go if I needed to swap batteries. Battery life on an A7 series camera should be even longer since the camera battery will not be required to power a flash whereas I relied on the built in flash on my A6000 to trigger my strobe. I don't think battery life would be a limiting factor on an A7 series camera.

Edited to add: Among other improvements, the A7R iii battery life is reportedly double the battery life on the A7Rii.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom