Aquaseal...same as RTV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, does that bring back memories!

Ah, yes. The good old days. Correct me if memory has failed me, but during the good old days (around 1977) one of the Viking suits I used had NO zipper. Unlike the Aquala that had a hole in the chest ( had to be tied up to maintain the water tight integrity) I had to stretch the neck seal and climb in. It was bad enough getting in, but after working for a few hours, getting out made me want to just sleep with the damn thing on.

One day:
Me to my tender: Murphy, getting out of this suit makes me feel like I am going through birth again.
Murphy proceeded to spray me down with coffee from both nostrils.

Now for a different question. Viking should be well set up to produce high quality wings. Do you foresee them eventually getting into that market?

Thanks for all your great replies.

c

Since you're hijacking your own thread, I guess it's OK to wander off your original topic. :wink:
...during the good old days (around 1977) one of the Viking suits I used had NO zipper.... I had to stretch the neck seal and climb in. It was bad enough getting in, but after working for a few hours, getting out made me want to just sleep with the damn thing on.
Yah, that'd be the "standard dress", made for the Mk V heavy gear.
They still make 'em like that, but a rear zipper is a welcome option. (click on the the pic)

The "Heavy Gear" is still used in some places; one of the dive companies that does nuke work in the Midwest still uses them, they provide excellent radiation protection & a Heavy Gear rig can be "flown" like a little submarine when proper buoyancy control is applied.
product_thumb_2455.jpg

Viking should be well set up to produce high quality wings. Do you foresee them eventually getting into that market?
I doubt if they'd wander that far off of their usual product line, even if there is a niche market for a wing like that. Most sport divers would probably opt for the lighter weight fabric wings as opposed to a vulcanized rubber wing that'd be more robust.
The closest "hazmat wing" on the market would be made by made by OMS: OMS Chemical Resistant BCs

Actually, the Goo products are pretty similar to Aquaseal being both urethane-based, onlike RTV which is silicone. However I feel a lot safer using Aquaseal than Goo, since there are so many different Goo products, and the its uncertain how good they are, and how suitable for divesuit repair, where Aquaseal is pretty much the standard.

That said, I'd probably use an adhesive rather than a sealant for the job - PB300 or DUI glue - since they seem to have a higher peel strength.

Thanks for all the great info and a trip down memory lane.

One of the toughest urethane base adheavise/sealents is 3M 5200 marine sealent. Only drawback is it takes several days to cure but once cured it doesn't let go. 3M 4200 marine sealent cures faster but is not as tough.

Back
Top Bottom