Aquaseal...same as RTV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone out there know if AquaSeal is anything more than plain old RTV silicone sealant?

Thanks,

c

Different stuff. according to labels, RTV releases acetic acid as it cures. Aquaseal presents a toluene hazard.

Yah, TOTALLY different stuff.

Keep the RTV/Silicone away from your suits, once the stuff gets on there practically nothing else will want to stick on it.
I know that some of the corner cutting drysuit manufacturers like to glue their valves on with the bathtub caulk but there's really no good excuse for it, other than to save the few bucks that a valve port would cost.

(Sometimes I have to work on drysuits that have been goobered up with the stuff so that's why I dislike it so much.)

What specifically did you have in mind for gluing?

Thanks guys,

Bob, I am removing a CO2 cartridge mechanism from an old BC and will put a patch over the hole. If fact, I think I can access the hole from the inside, so I will install the patch on both sides.

Thanks,

c

Shoe/plumbers/marine goo seems to be similar to aquaseal, although aquaseal seems to be thinner.

...I am removing a CO2 cartridge mechanism from an old BC and will put a patch over the hole. If fact, I think I can access the hole from the inside, so I will install the patch on both sides.
That'd be an excellent use for the Aqua Seal.
Adding some Cotol would be a good idea, as it thins it down, allowing it to get into the fabric for a better bite.
Adding a patch to the inside is likewise a good idea.
Be sure to round off the corners of the patch if using a "squarish" one.

Hey Bob,

I just noticed you are a Viking guru….great suits. I used to work with a couple of guys who would repair their Vikings and Aqualas with a patch kit where they would make the patch, light the adhesive for a second and then apply it to the suit. Seem to do a good job. I know suits have come a long way since then, but is this method still used? I'm not contemplating doing this to my BC bladder, just curious.

c

RTV does make a very nice custom rubber "gasket" for suit inflation and outlet valves. But its definately not aquaseal. And definately not good for patches.

... where they would make the patch, light the adhesive ...
Wow, does that bring back memories!
One of the more effective rubber "hot patching kits" had these little "trays" with the patch stuck to the underside. After cleaning, scuffing & priming the rubber, the little "tray" got clamped into place & the flammable material in it was ignited, burning like a slow farmer's match. It did one heck of a job vulcanizing the patch on, but with the advent of more "responsive" cements, glues, & thinners that method hasn't been used in a looong time.
Nowadays the glue can flash off the solvent without having to torch it.
Heck of a blast from the past though, especially if ya try to put a match to the stuff in use nowdays!!! :wink:

Waterbed mattress patching kits can be used to patch BC bladders to good effect.

Avoid RTV, for sure, as Bob3 said! EDIT: Except to create a gasket under drysuit inflator or exhaust valves, as was pointed out.

Shoe/plumbers/marine goo seems to be similar to aquaseal, although aquaseal seems to be thinner.

In the past, I used Shoe-Goo thinned with toluene for sealing seams and the edges of seals, but even when thinned, it tended to be less flexible than Aquaseal.

I found it tended to crack and peel after a year or two.

I've switched back to Aquaseal.

For economy, I bought an 8-oz tube of Aquaseal and keep it in the freezer to extend its shelf life. So far, so good.

Haven't seen a need to go for the Cotol yet, as toluene works well to thin the Aquaseal and hasten the drying process.

Reportedly, Cotol has an accelerator additive, but I haven't seen a need to spend the extra money for it.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom