Aquarium diving research published

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Buzzacott

Registered
Reaction score
Our latest diving research has just been published. It is available here: https://academic.oup.com/occmed/advance-article/doi/10.1093/occmed/kqz011/5421015

By all means, please do feel free to share, post, tweet, blog, or otherwise spread the word. As with all studies there are limitations, but the great majority of aquarium divers are retired volunteers and we propose a relatively simple quantitative method to match those at higher cardiovascular risk with lower workload tasks. I do not think aquarium diving is high risk, even with the older cohort of volunteers, but if we can identify even small steps DSOs can take to make the job even safer, day-after-day, year-after-year, that can't be a bad thing.

Our latest diving research has just been published. It is available here: https://academic.oup.com/occmed/advance-article/doi/10.1093/occmed/kqz011/5421015

By all means, please do feel free to share, post, tweet, blog, or otherwise spread the word. As with all studies there are limitations, but the great majority of aquarium divers are retired volunteers and we propose a relatively simple quantitative method to match those at higher cardiovascular risk with lower workload tasks. I do not think aquarium diving is high risk, even with the older cohort of volunteers, but if we can identify even small steps DSOs can take to make the job even safer, day-after-day, year-after-year, that can't be a bad thing.
How do I get access to this paper?

Oh, right, I'm at university currently so that must mean my university have paid for access to Oxford Journals. Do you have access through a university library?

Oh, right, I'm at university currently so that must mean my university have paid for access to Oxford Journals. Do you have access through a university library?
No, not any more.

what really concerns me is an average heart rate of 100 bpm - I thought that diving in aquarium is somewhat relaxing activity and should yield around 70-80 bpm.

what really concerns me is an average heart rate of 100 bpm - I thought that diving in aquarium is somewhat relaxing activity and should yield around 70-80 bpm.
Yes, that is a key finding. Floating about looking at the fish is normally quite relaxing. Vacuuming the gravel floor... apparently not so.

Maybe an opportunity here for those of us who don't like aerobics, but should do some sort of weekly cardio?

You may be confusing an aquarium dive as experienced by a guest and an aquarium dive by a working diver. The volunteers that dive here have actual work to do while diving. Some of the tasks are less strenuous than others (for example, feeding may be less work than scrubbing or gravel vacuuming), but all of the dives are more work than what you do on a typical vacation dive.

Jackie

Back
Top Bottom