Aquarena Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I ran an advanced class this weekend. Actually, two classes. One was finishing on Saturday, while the other one was starting. Anyway, I was able to secure special access to the training area at Aquarena, to do part of the advanced class. The navigation and search and recovery dives were not much of a challenge, given the small area and typical vis that you find there.

The night dive was another story. Even though we were limited to the training area, it was still a neat dive. Those of us that dive there allot know where everything is. However, that changes at night, when things are out of the range of your light. It was a neat experience to be swimming along and then catch site of the mushroom or the little boat wreck.

The fish are cool at night as well. Caught sight of a pretty good sized prawn / crawfish. The perch enjoyed playing in the light beam and a few of the bass were interested in it as well. Some of the bass decided it was nap time and settled on the bottom for a rest.

All in al, it was a very neat experience to dive there at night. I recommend it to anyone that has the opportunity. I think that if you are science diver qualified, you have access to the rest of the lake, you just have to get special permission to dive there at night.

That's awesome....we got to do a night dive there about 10 years ago....Deep Freddy's shop had a group night dive out there, catered with BBQ and everything. Lot's of fun. I remember going behind the theater and shining my light into all the grasses....each of the prawn's eyes would sparkle red so it looked like the weeds were full of sparkling red rubies.....

Night dives there are very cool! Great chance to see an eel and prawns. On the west side of Catfish Hotel there is a very big boulder. Prawns like to hide very deep under it and come out at night. Snapping turtles are more lively at night as well (the only critter that has evaded me so far).

For those interested, volunteer to lead one of the "Diving for Science" classes on the "evening" dive. Be sure to be the last group in the water so you can take your time. It can be a real pain to lead divers new to the lake, but worth the effort if you know where to look for the critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom