Aquarena Closing to Dive Volunteers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Removing the sub would give the training area a lot more elbow room.

Robert, do you have the video of diversion posted somewhere?

I thought I would ask the "MAN", Ron Coley Director / Aquarena River Systems Institute and here is his response:

Paul,

Thank you for the kind words. There will come a time when we will not have access to the springs. When is a developing story but it could be as soon as Nov of 2010. How long? Could be as short as 3 months. That said there are at least a 1/2 dozen critical milestones that need to be completed before we know the details of when and how long. They are scheduled to fall into place about 1 a month between now and Sept.

There are several issues that include unexpected archaeological finds that can cause unscheduled delays. So the project and the period that the springs will be off limits is hard to be hard and fast with time lines.

The amount of diving over the two year’s of conversion is going to be limited but not closed. Sorry to say I could not follow the link. In the mean time I am going to get in the water whenever I can and hope you will do the same. Ron

Sincerely,
Ron Coley
Director / Aquarena
River Systems Institute
Texas State University | San Marcos

“Aquarena is a CLASSROOM – pass it on!”

I loved diving the Theatre.... When I was little...maybe 5-6 I went to see the mermaids and the diving pig!!!! It was sad and cool at the same time to dive it almost ten years later.

I would say it's safe to assume it will be open all summer. And it's at a high flow right now, which makes great diving conditions. We need to take advantage of a great dive site while we can.
as far as the cost, once you take the class, where else in Texas can you dive in crystal clear water for free and get free airfills afterword. Officially they are not supposed to fill your tanks, but they have everytime I've been there.

Hi Brad,

All it will take is one good hurricane and the funding from the Corps will vanish like morning mist. Probably one reason they plan on starting in November.

I read the whole Corps report (very tedious after a while) a while back when this first came up on SB. I don't know much about the Corps other than it is a govt agency so probably qualifies as volatile. So until the job is started I'm not getting excited. You never know what will happen with this kind of project, which in this case is rather ambitious. It's not just a matter of tearing down a few buildings- the plan is to take out the parking lot and part of the golf course for the lake.

Being the practical sort, I guess I figured when I took the Science Diver course a few years ago that- although the volunteer thing is wonderful and looks like it could last forever, it also is dependent upon a system of bureaucracy that can fall apart at any time and throw a burr in the mix. In other words, never say never. I do hope, however, that in this era of "get the money while you can" we will have an ultimate happy ending, and diving in Spring Lake will be even better than ever. So, in the meantime enjoy diving there, and realize that the course alone was worth the $$ (extremely interesting info about the Edwards Aquifer and the Indian tribe that used to live there, the artifacts they found, and just learning about the natural world around you.) Hopefully we will find a larger and even better lake to love and take care of.

The water at Aquarena is just too clear. My sense of loyalty to the Swamp and personal lifestyle choices concerning visibility won't allow me to dive there .

Do people actually pay to dive in water like that ? :D

The water at Aquarena is just too clear. My sense of loyalty to the Swamp and personal lifestyle choices concerning visibility won't allow me to dive there .

YEP, I did.........:rofl3:

and enjoyed every minute at the location.......

As a tried and true swampdiver, you're still allowed to dive Aquarena. We have exceptions built into the bylaws for just such indulgences :)

Back
Top Bottom