AquaLung (US Divers) Arctic Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at purchasing a set of AquaLung (US Divers) Arctic Explorers local to me. I recognize that they are old, but actually kind of like the way they look and like what I have read about the Conshelf series regs being bulletproof. I dive in Utah but no where near the "cold waters" that it sounds like these regs were made for. I also don't want to buy into a never ending service issue as well so any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any info on these, they look like a part of the Conshelf series which I have come to understand are basically the same "guts" as a Titan? Does this theory of same-as-a-titan apply to the Arctic regs as well? Are they really the bulletproof regs that a lot of sites/posts make them out to be?

I don't know about the first stage either if anyone can tell just by looking at the picture what it is as well I would appreciate it.

Arctic explorers.jpg

kg.

I believe the Arctic Explorer is a Conshelf XII with a cold water kit. So...most likely mid 70s on the manufacture date. Does it have two LP ports or three?

Sounds like the same thing as a Conshelf Supreme. If it is, I would do away with environmental seal, that thing is a pain in the rear or at least upgrade it to a later one that did not use the silicone oil.
Whether you have service issues or not depends on the integrity of your dive shop. The parts are available and any reg tech should be able to handle one easily so any BS you get about not being able to service it is just that BS..

best regulator ever made the navy still uses them easy to get parts and overhaul you can tell that I like the conshelf regs. if you get a good price its one of the best used regs to buy

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 04:04 PM ----------

add a trident products AA53 swivel to give you more porting on 1st stage should cost about $20

The primary difference is the IP is set lower and of course the environmental kit. Essentially a Conshelf Supreme. I love my NIB Conshelf Supreme, however, I set my IP up to 135 plus. Set the second for minimum cracking effort, breaths very sweat.

N

Not sure if this set will work out. :( But I will be tracking down a Conshelf set.

Not sure if this set will work out. :( But I will be tracking down a Conshelf set.

That is a Conshelf. Why would it not work out?

N

Unless it's just a price issue, that is a conshelf. USD/AL was bad for calling the same reg many different names.
As for the SEA, they are good regs as well although they are a lot heavier than a Conshelf.

Back
Top Bottom