Aqualung Titan and Legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure another option is the last thing you wanted to hear about but....

I dive the AquaLung Micra ADJ, and like it a lot. It's quite small and yet breathes very easy. As opposed to some other regs, by using the adjustment knob and lever, a huge change is made from minimum to maximum settings. On minimum you have to really try to get it to freeflow when it's out of your mouth at depth. Depending on how your reg tech set it, it may start a slow 'trickling' freeflow at max setting. I've had mine since 2002 and have had to do no maintenance to it other than yearly servicing.

StSomewhere:
I've dived with the Titan and the Titan LX. The Titan LX is a *much* better breathing reg than the Titan, and for not a lot more money. So that's the minimum level to start with, IMO.

QUOTE]

I have been doing some more searching on this and have found some very good info from DA Aquamaster about balanced 1st with unbalanced 2nds. From this info I don't understand why the Titan would be worse than the Titan LX (balanced). Is the Titan 2nd really designed that badly? Is the flow rate or other quaility that much less? Could the Titan just have been adjusted wrong?

This challenges my understanding of these issues.

I can only compare the rental Titan to the rental Titan LX to the new Titan LX (which I eventually exchanged for the Apeks).

The rental Titan was fine in the pool, and was OK at 50'. Both Titan LX's were fine in the pool and much better breathers at 50'. We're talking effortless.

See if you can't compare them for yourself.

I bought a Titan LX a few weeks ago and just took it to 100' - It takes almost no effort to breathe and delivers plenty of air. The water was dirty and ~50 degrees and everything was fine.

My friend has a Legend LX with the adjustment knob and says that once you set the knob you rarely touch it again (so why wouldn't you just get your Titan tuned at your LDS?)

It delivers more than enough air as it is and the Venturi knob stops freeflow.

Great reg for the money!

jmps:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I wish I had a LDS that allowed me to try all this before I bought. I have used the Titan and it is OK but I have only gone to 60 ft with it.

The Legend is $85 more at my LDS than the Titan LX Supreme. It sounds like it is worth it. But as someone said creaping featurism can really get expensive if the Titan itself was really good enough. I am not going to get the Legend LX though. From reading about overbalanced 1st stages it also does cost a bit more to get the balanced octo but it is needed. I guess I just needed some encouragement. I think a year from now I won't regreat this even though I need to buy a lot more equipement.

Your profile doesn't give your location so I don't know if I can help, but.....

We are an authorized Aqualung/Apeks dealer and always are willing to let certified divers try regs before they buy. We have Micra, SE3, SEA4, Conshelf, Pro Diver, Titan, Titan LX, Legend, Legend LX and several Apeks models in our rental inventory.

Personally, I have two Legend LX rigs, one of which spends more time diving with other people than I do. I would recommend the LX version of either model you buy. More control, better performance.

Some advice: You mentioned the type of diving you are currently doing. Fine, but also plan on diving that you may do in the future. Don't go crazy on spending money, but also, try not to make a purchase that five years from now your saying "Darn, I wish I would have spent the extra $85 then". If and when your diving skills/styles advance, your purchase now could eliminate having to buy new, duplicate gear later. Reg being as expensive as they are (LIFE SUPPORT TENDS TO BE $$$), buying one that will meet all your needs for years to come makes most sense to me.

Hope this helps.

jbichsel,

Thanks for you thoughts. I am up in the Chicago area. I have updated my profile. Your shop sounds really great. I wish my LDSs had a full rental selection like yours. This is like buying a car and never driving it first.

My looking at the Legend is driven by potential future desires. I sure don't need it now and may never but what you say makes sense. If AL had another rebate like last year I would go with the Legend LX for sure. I have heard mixed input on the value of an adjustable 2nd. Thanks for your experienced take on this.

I have opened up my thoughts to the ScubaPro MK16 as well and will decide shortly.

If you are planning on diving the great lakes, I think you will be seeing cold water temps. I have seen 39deg temps on recent dives, and know a bit colder than that is the norm if you go to Superior - I hear Isle Royal and other sites there are outstanding.

I was out last weekend, and there were at least two free flows I know of in our group - but, I had no problem with my Legend LX.

It is hard to identify what is best for you - but, I think all the reg's you are considering are high qualtiy.

My wife has a Legend Supreme and it is great. I use it when I dive nitrox as my reg is very old and not nitrox compatible. It breaths easy at 10 feet and 120 feet. No issues at all.

From LPro it runs about 310 (ask them to price match it to DiveInn). But there is the "life time free parts" which could save about $40-60 each service if you buy through your local LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom