Aqualung Titan and Legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to you all for the great info on regs here in this forum. I have decided to buy an Aqualung reg and am deciding between the Titan, Titan LX, and Legend. I am a recreational diver and will stay above 130ft mostly in warm water but could dive in non winter months in Lake Michigan.

From your experience would there be real difference between a Titan (non-balanced 2nd), a Titan LX (balanced), and a Legend under my diving needs? I am tempted to spring for the Legend with a balanced 2nd but don't want to run it past this forum. The marketing is getting to me. :)

I've dived with the Titan and the Titan LX. The Titan LX is a *much* better breathing reg than the Titan, and for not a lot more money. So that's the minimum level to start with, IMO.

As you probably know, the Titan LX Supreme has an environmentally sealed first stage (it comes with a normal mouthpiece btw). The Legend also has an environmentally sealed first stage, but you have to get to the Legend LX to get the adjustable second stage.

As you can tell, its easy with AL regs to nickle and dime yourself into spending more money by incrementally moving up models to add features. Its an expensive hobby, and there are always other places to spend scuba dollars, so maybe thats something to consider.

Personally, since my AL dealer also sells Apeks I eventually went that route. :)

I'm a fan of the Titan regs. I currently own 1 Titan, and 2 Titan LX. Although I have never done a head to head test, I really can't tell much difference between the breathing of a regular Titan and an LX to at least 120 feet. I do, however, keep my IP a little higher than most, and that may have something to do with it.

I consider the Titans, along with the Sherwoods, and the Scubapro mk 2's to be the "energizer bunnies" of regulators. They are tough, extremely reliable, and easy to service.

The Legend is also a great regulator--probably one of the best. But, for the dive parameters you mention, I don't think it's necessary to go there. In my opinion, any of your choices would do just fine.

I use the Legend LX and my wife has the Titan LX, there both great regs and you can't go wrong with either one.
I have notice that the Legend breathes a little easier at depth due to the overbalanced diaphragm. The Legend has a venturi adjustment as well as an inhalation adjustment, the Titan LX only has the venturi.
The question is are you willing to splurge.

If you do go with the Legend it is advisable to get the over balanced octo as well..

All the Titans & Legends breathe great. The Legend LX is marginally better than the Titan LX which is marginally better than the Titan. But unless you're mighty sensitive to tiny variances in WOB, my opinion is that the Titan is the most bang for the buck.
E.

I think that if you are a newer diver and may also want to purchase other gear, you will be more than happy with the Titan LX. I would strongly recommend a balanced second stage though and the environmental kit which is the Titan LX Supreme. It breathes very well. But depending on the cost if the Legend is not too much more expensive (Legend Supreme), you may opt for that. IT will have a performance difference but only slightly. Another point to consider, is that if you opt for the legend, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you will never have to buy another reg.

My husband used a Titan before buying his own gear, and upon the recommendation of other divers, chose the Legend instead. After using the Legend and comparing, he said for him there is no comparison as the Legend breathes SO much easier than the Titan at depth. He also remarked that the Legend was drier than the Titans he's used in the past, but we don't know if that was a tuning thing or not.

Oh, both were LX's.

I have a Titan LX and I wanted a Supreme, but my LDS kept telling me that I didn't need it. It never gets cold enough, he said. BAH!! One of the quarries nearby that I wanted to dive requires a sealed first stage!! Plus, it's easier to maintain if you want to dive salt water. Go for the Supreme.

My $.02

Jack

rescuediver009:
I think that if you are a newer diver and may also want to purchase other gear, you will be more than happy with the Titan LX. I would strongly recommend a balanced second stage though and the environmental kit which is the Titan LX Supreme. It breathes very well. But depending on the cost if the Legend is not too much more expensive (Legend Supreme), you may opt for that. IT will have a performance difference but only slightly. Another point to consider, is that if you opt for the legend, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you will never have to buy another reg.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I wish I had a LDS that allowed me to try all this before I bought. I have used the Titan and it is OK but I have only gone to 60 ft with it.

The Legend is $85 more at my LDS than the Titan LX Supreme. It sounds like it is worth it. But as someone said creaping featurism can really get expensive if the Titan itself was really good enough. I am not going to get the Legend LX though. From reading about overbalanced 1st stages it also does cost a bit more to get the balanced octo but it is needed. I guess I just needed some encouragement. I think a year from now I won't regreat this even though I need to buy a lot more equipement.

Back
Top Bottom