Aqualung/Technisub Folding snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looking for a folding snorkel, read some past threads. The aqualung/technisub seems to get high marks.

Any user opinions on this product?

or other folding snorkels (that really work if you ever need them)...

JAG

I've got the Sherwood Avid snorkel in my BC pocket currently. It seems to work in a pinch, but I wouldn't take it out if I was going to purely snorkel. It's a good price too (around $20 US I think) for a folding snorkel.

Mostly, it fulfills the snorkel obligation that some of our local beaches require of divers. :)

- David

jagfish:
Looking for a folding snorkel, read some past threads. The aqualung/technisub seems to get high marks.

JAG

What I've read about the Sherwood avid is that it folds nice, but is not smooth bore, so is difficult/impossible to clear effectively.

Have you had this problem?

JAG

jagfish:

JAG

It is not a snorkel that I would use for freediving as it is quite pliable and tends to collapse when breathed hard. That said,
I never use a snorkel when in scuba gear. The Techisub does fold up nicely and stows well in my drysuit thigh bellows pocket.

A snorkel is required by City of Laguna Beach (Orange County, California) regulations for diving within the city. The snorkel
gets stowed in the pocket when diving within the confines of Laguna Beach.

For freediving I tend to use one of the simple Scubapro snorkels without any purge valves.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

I have encountered this problem but, I wouldn't say impossible to clear. The lack of a smooth bore does make it completely different to try and clear it than most snorkels. I didn't find it to be difficult once I learned a few tricks.

I've found that it's effective to take it out of your mouth and dump water that way if you can. Also, it may take 2-3 blasts to clear it to the point that you can breathe - but I've had the same experience with some of the smooth bore snorkels as well.

I also will note that if you completely compress the corrugated part (with the mouthpiece) it tends to catch less water that way. So you could clear it that way when you bring it out of your pocket.

I don't think the compact, folding snorkels are the best snorkel you can get, but they are convenient - especially if you don't want to have a snorkel dragging on your mask the entire time.

I'm sure someone will come along now and chastise us all for not having a proper snorkel as a backup for surface swims. :)

- David

jagfish:
What I've read about the Sherwood avid is that it folds nice, but is not smooth bore, so is difficult/impossible to clear effectively.

Have you had this problem?

JAG

Jagfish - the question is, why do you want a snorkel anyway?

If it's for snorkeling/freediving, then get a simple J tube. In my mind, the only other legitimate use for a snorkel is as a back scratcher while watching television, or to satisfy some stupid training agency/city ordinance rule. Just get something small that gets out of your way.

Over here 99% of my entries are shore, a few of them can be a bit of a swim. I do use the snorkel now and then, more than most boat divers I know...but it is annoying as hell on the mask.

I want to see if I can find an option that allows for use, detachment and easy stow.... and ease of redeployment if needed.

JAG

But I still have to ask - why a snorkel? I'm almost exclusively a shore diver. I'm no stranger to difficult entries. But do the math.

If you absolutely HAUL on your regulator while on the surface, and drive your SAC rate all the way up to a 1.0, a full 10 minute surface swim while hyperventilating the whole way just cost you a grand total of - about 400 psi. That's it.

Furthermore, why don't you just float on your back?

Yeah
Point taken on the actual air use. I might have to think consider that.

There's one dive site in particular that I frequent that has about a 200 meter swim. It's a deep wall, all the way down to recreatoinal limits, and there are some really nice soft corals even at the bottom, other interesting marine life as well.

I like to snorkel out to that spot to save gas for the dive...

JAG

Boogie711:
But I still have to ask - why a snorkel? I'm almost exclusively a shore diver. I'm no stranger to difficult entries. But do the math.

If you absolutely HAUL on your regulator while on the surface, and drive your SAC rate all the way up to a 1.0, a full 10 minute surface swim while hyperventilating the whole way just cost you a grand total of - about 400 psi. That's it.

Furthermore, why don't you just float on your back?

. . . and a grand total of 400 psi to return to shore. I would not give up 800 psi of my gas supply before starting a dive!!

A snorkel is a nice piece of equipment if used for surface swims in choppy water or waves and then stowed in a pocket during the dive.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom