Aqualung SolAfx??? worth it???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ketos

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just recently got a semi-dry from aqualung at my local shop. Its not the shop i usually get my stuff at, but the people are really nice and the owner said that he really liked the suit himself... I don't think he would lie to me is the point. Anyway, the suit i got is the Aqualung 8/7mm SolAfx semi-dry. I've heard alot of good things about the Mares Isotherm, which was my other choice, so does anyone have any input on my suit. Is it as dry and warm as the isotherm?

A dry suit is also out of my budget for a while too so i cant go that route right now.

So I just recently got a semi-dry from aqualung at my local shop. Its not the shop i usually get my stuff at, but the people are really nice and the owner said that he really liked the suit himself... I don't think he would lie to me is the point. Anyway, the suit i got is the Aqualung 8/7mm SolAfx semi-dry. I've heard alot of good things about the Mares Isotherm, which was my other choice, so does anyone have any input on my suit. Is it as dry and warm as the isotherm?

A dry suit is also out of my budget for a while too so i cant go that route right now.

Ketos, have you tried it?

My lovely wife just bought me an 8mm Aqualung Solafx and it is an amazing suit! It fits like a glove, or like it's supposed to, and it really is semi-dry...and extremely warm. You can also move around in it very nicely. If a dry suit is out of your budget, like it is with most of us anymore because of the economy, then this is sure one great (and inexpensive) way to go. I really like my suit alot!

I've got one for myself. Did 4 dive in it so far and like it a lot! Only two notes:
- You need a lot of weight! It's 8mm core with 7mm arms/legs and highly buoyant neoprene.
- It's soft - therefore compresses rather easy.
Both issues aren't negative, just the things to get used to. And I agree with mauidiver57. It's the one to get for cold waters if you are on the budget or don't have enough experience for a drysuit.

Been diving the SolaFX for over a year now. Love it. The attached hood cuts down on the water circulation. I have 2 friends that dove the Isotherm and switched over to the SolaFX. They like both, but the "stretchiness" of the SolaFX was what sold them. It can be a bit warm in SoCal waters in the summer time though.. I have actually been hot in the 8/7 when surface swimming to the point of sweating.... You should get lots of comfort from yours....

I have the suit (SolaFX) and LOVE it! For the most part I have put away my drysuit and dive this suit most of the time. I even used it on Saturday in Laguna in 51 degree water and I was totally comfortable.

I don't think the suit is a semi-dry but it does limit the water flow.

later
Marc
Dive Instructor

I think semi-dry is a marketing term. As somebody from the board put it: "semi-dry suit is a properly designed and built wetsuit."

Can someone please clue me in on the MSRP of this thing? Been bugging my LDS to much this week for pricing :)

Bamboo Reef in San Francisco has them for something close to $500. Leisurepro has them for $325.

Ah..forgot all about LP since i've been searching on regs/bc and such and didn't want to go thru them for that. Wetsuits are fine though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom