Aqualung rep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has also been some unofficial "sour milk" between Aqualung and Scubaboard.

I can guarentee you that Aqualung reads this board even if they don't post here. Post a dealer that is routinely selling online and Aqualung will send over their ******* to harrass the dealer.

"Knock, knock, knock. Mr. Ellis? We're from AquaLung and we'd like to have a word with you please." :lotsalove:

Correction......now let's remember actually what I got kicked out for doing......

They had one of their employees PHONE me and get a price quote on a product. I was "officially" terminated for OFFERING to sell an item below their Minimum Mandated Customer Price, which is 10% off of the list price.

I also expect and have the opinion that they didn't like my "editorial" position with regard to..............

free trade
MAP price policies
price controls in retail sales
who should run my store
...and other issues.

I would like to say that losing them didn't harm me, but then that might hurt my "future prospects". Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I'm proud to say that I bought one of the final Aqua Lung regulators Phil ever sold. Oh the memories .... sniffle sniffle ....

I Aqualung will send over their ******* to harrass the dealer.

Jeez... I can't believe that SB 'censors' the word Ge-stap-o

I'm proud to say that I bought one of the final Aqua Lung regulators Phil ever sold. Oh the memories .... sniffle sniffle ....

I'm with ya.

I bought an Aqualung reg from him also.

All legal and across the counter of course per dealer agreement :) (but no other dealers could touch his prices!)

Even though Phil admitts what Aqualung nailed him on was against their official policies, I doubt I'll ever buy another Aqualung product because of their policies and how they treated him..... Lots of other people feel the same way.

I mean when Aqualung ships the new Legend ACD product to LeisurePro before they do their normal dealers, and then harrass their dealers about selling competitively price wise, it just shows what hypocrites that company is made of.

Like I said, many of us won't buy their products again because of their actions......

Aqualung, "can you hear me now"? That's the sound of $$$ beind spent elsewhere until you fix whats right.

I mean when Aqualung ships the new Legend ACD product to LeisurePro before they do their normal dealers, and then harrass their dealers about selling competitively price wise, it just shows what hypocrites that company is made of.

Like I said, many of us won't buy their products again because of their actions......

Aqualung, "can you hear me now"? That's the sound of $$$ being spent elsewhere until you fix whats right.

I agree with you 100% but unfortunately I don't think this will change anytime soon. There are two types of customers who keep the LDS's who are using this business model afloat. Newbies and people who simply have enough disposable income and don't really care about the price. The people who do care about price and want Auqualung buy from LP. That suits Auqualung just fine because they still get the sale and as a bonus don't have any warranty obligations.

I won't buy Auqualung either (or ScubaPro for that matter) but I don't think my dollars are enough to matter to them. :shakehead:

I got one of the last of the Suunto computers Phil was selling and I have been getting free batteries from AL since then. It is great to buy from an authorized dealer with great prices.

It is true Mike that the world is changing around us, and I'm sure all dive manufacturers know that. What they also know is that even amidst these changes the dive shop is the heart centre of the dive industy and that is where their products are not only sold but serviced as well. Manufacturers like Aqua Lung understand that it is their dealership network of dive shops that keeps this dive industry afloat and all that the internet based distributors are doing is putting the survival of the entire dive industry at risk. I've worked at all levels of the industry from dive shop owner to manufacturers rep and believe me without the dive centres to sell, service, teach, promote travel and activities you won't find much use in an internet based distiributor, they can't service what they sell, they can't teach people to dive, and they can't fill tanks. This is why companies like Aqua Lung support their dealers.

It is true Mike that the world is changing around us, and I'm sure all dive manufacturers know that. What they also know is that even amidst these changes the dive shop is the heart centre of the dive industy and that is where their products are not only sold but serviced as well. Manufacturers like Aqua Lung understand that it is their dealership network of dive shops that keeps this dive industry afloat and all that the internet based distributors are doing is putting the survival of the entire dive industry at risk. I've worked at all levels of the industry from dive shop owner to manufacturers rep and believe me without the dive centres to sell, service, teach, promote travel and activities you won't find much use in an internet based distiributor, they can't service what they sell, they can't teach people to dive, and they can't fill tanks. This is why companies like Aqua Lung support their dealers.

You're making a fundamental mistake that I see repeated over and over again. All of the successful internet based distributors are also brick and mortar shops! It's not one or the other. In the future, to be successful you'll have to broaden your market and the internet is one key way to do this. Every single online retailer that I do business with is also an LDS. Dive Sports, Scuba Toys, Dive Rite Express, Dive Rite in Scuba, Northeast Scuba Supply .... they are all dive shops that offer training, fills and equipment service as well. My own local dive shop has also gotten into the mix ... ScubaBasics. All of these businesses have learned about the power of the internet and are using it to expand their market base.

Can we finally quit perpetuating this false dichotomy ... please!

Back
Top Bottom