Aqualung Pacifica or TUSA Imprex Hyperdry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnCollins

Reaction score
Anyone use either of these purge masks? They got good tester reviews. I'd love to hear from owners of either of these masks, though. I'm thinking of getting one or the other.

I know, very few folks use purge masks, but I just can't seem to clear one without at least some minor sinus discomfort. I must have very "open" sinus cavities and I've always had nose issues. I seem unable to clear a mask without creating enough turbulence to blow water into my nose. I'd have been a candidate for those stupid nose clips while swimming, but they're too uncool and I'm too vain. Purge masks are probably uncool, too, but I've given up caring. I want to be comfortable.

I'm an OW recreational diver in warm waters only--at least for the moment.

I am using a fairly large, tri-window mask that's about 16 years old by the way. I'm open to a low-volume non-purge being the way to go. Thinking about a Scubapro frameless, which posters seem to love.

I've used the Tusa Imprex HyperDry mask for about three years now. As a snorkeler I used it on trips to Hawaii, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Now that I have recently received my dive certification I have been using it in the local lakes, and will be taking it on a two week dive vacation to Florida soon.
This is a great mask and it clears very easily. Since I have a moustache I am quite an expert at mask clearing. :) I can recommend this mask highly.

I'm glad you've been using it for 3 years. How about the "failure" of the purge valve? I've read a lot more about the potential for failure than I have about any of them actually failing, although I think I'd carry a spare mask in my pocket if I dove a purge. Have you ever had it start to leak on a dive?

I suspect you've had no problems, but I'd sure like to hear it from you. As a strictly OW rec diver, I'm not too worried about this on a dive, but I'd love to know if it's been a problem for you. My suspcion is that if you have a couple of spare valves in your kit, clean the mask scrupulously and replace the valve every season or every other season, you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks.

JPC

Well, I must be unique since I've never had any problems with the valve. Occasionally it will get a grain or two of sand in it, but just wash it out and it's ready to go. I've never had this mask leak on any dive. As with ALL purge masks it does gather a small bit of water in the purge cup but this does not in any way get in your nose. I've never replaced any parts in this mask and it works flawlessy. It sounds like I work for this company but I don't. This is one piece of gear I can give five stars to without any reservations.:)

Back
Top Bottom