Aqualung octopus for an Atomic B2 regulator - feasible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzanini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchased from a colleague an Atomic B2 regulator (first and second stage). Since Aqualung service techs are more plentiful around the world, I am thinking of adding an Aqualung octopus instead of an Atomic one. Feasible? Any downside, besides having to turn to different dealers or service centers for servicing?

As long as ip is matched there will be no issue using a different brand octo. I don't mean to be rude but I don't understand how this solves your "service issue" you still need to find service for your B2 not sure being able to more easily service one item on your rig makes any difference. Personally I'd get a Z2 octo at least then you can have the whole rig serviced at the same time in the same place. If you are doing a lot of travel diving to far flung destinations you mayl have issues with Atomic, although they do have a two year service interval. For travel divers Scubapro or Aqualung are a safer bet with much wider service networks. Good luck.

I'd worry more about your Atomic B2 second stage. The piston first stage tends not to need service, but with balanced second stages, the shuttle o-ring that seals the balance chamber tends to wear quickly since it is under a tremendous amount of use (how many breaths do you take per dive?). Also, once the MP seat is dimpled, the tuning becomes erratic.

I would get a B2 octo and call it a day.

Or if you want to be a cool kid and insist on an Aqualung product, throw a Conshelf on there... one or two o-rings and an LP seat, and you're back in business. If you get an older one, they're solid brass, so they're tough to damage.

I'd worry more about your Atomic B2 second stage. The piston first stage tends not to need service, but with balanced second stages, the shuttle o-ring that seals the balance chamber tends to wear quickly since it is under a tremendous amount of use (how many breaths do you take per dive?). Also, once the MP seat is dimpled, the tuning becomes erratic.

I would get a B2 octo and call it a day.

Or if you want to be a cool kid and insist on an Aqualung product, throw a Conshelf on there... one or two o-rings and an LP seat, and you're back in business. If you get an older one, they're solid brass, so they're tough to damage.

I recently bought a Z2 took it to Thailand 1st stage was faulty straight out of the box, couldn't find anyone to service it. Bummer. Unlikely but does happen. Moral of my story back to Apeks when traveling. YMMV.

I recently bought a Z2 took it to Thailand 1st stage was faulty straight out of the box, couldn't find anyone to service it. Bummer. Unlikely but does happen. Moral of my story back to Apeks when traveling. YMMV.

High IP, or creep?

Squealing like a banshee on crack upon inhalation at depths greater than around 15 meters, glass shatteringly high. Was told this can occur if the piston O ring has dried out. I own Apeks regs and self service, this is my first piston reg so had no idea what the problem was. The reg continued to function but ad I'm sure you can imagine was annoying as ...k Ann by day 6 it gave me a headache. Atomic have ignored my emails so sent back to the US store I bought it from, my fault for buying online.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom