Aqualung Legend vs Atomic B2, ST1, T3 ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So six years ago I bought a pair of Aqualung Titans for my son and I.
Recently mine wasn't flowing well, had them serviced (following schedule, had them rebuilt), mine still isn't flowing great.
The LDS' response was I bought entry level and needed to upgrade to the Legend.

I asked about Atomic (they are not an Atomic dealer) and was told, parts are expensive, no free parts, they use an $80 tube of lube used on the space station and they don't perform better than Aqualung.
Another dive shop who is a distributor for them said they are jerks to deal with and focuses on other brands, he echoed that they don't flow any better than the other big brands.

So I am looking at Atomic and curious about the following;

Are they really better than Aqualung or are all the big manufacturers basically the same but with different bells and whistles?

Do the Atomic ST1, T3 and B2 perform exactly the same?

I like the swivel on the Atomic and hear great things about Atomic here on Scubaboard. Seems like Shearwater for computers and Atomic for regs are up there if not the very top of the line for rec divers.
I also don't like being told my reg is not performing well because I bought a lower model awhile back.

As always I appreciate the input,
Thanks

Find someone else to service your regulators. Pushing an upgrade is a bs reply.

Is it working worse than when new?
What does not flowing well mean?
Are they both having issues?

A good shop can hook it to a magnahelic guage that precisely measures flow rate and sensitivity against the spec. Go to that shop.

I have Atomics ST1, M1, T3 and they breathe pretty damn close. I can't distinguish them. My M1 and ST1 are sealed first stage. I have had zero issues with them I think the differences are the materials such as titanium, zirconium, Monel , stainless, brass. I do believe they are designed to breathe equally. Have rsingler service them when needed. I think Diveventures also services Atomic

so the titan is a downstream 2nd and you can't get the same performance as a top of the line balanced reg, but proper tuning should get it to breathe decently still.

another option if you decide to replace is deep 6 or hog.

The Titan is a solid almost bombproof reg. Yes it's an entry model, I doubt there's much noticeable difference to the Legend

I use Legends (because I like the ACD) as well as Apex. No real difference between them. Mine are used hard in salt water my AL's have 1000 dives since 2013, serviced 3 times with no parts required other than service replacement items

I'll sit with the posts above, go to a shop that knows what they're doing, and doesn't try to rip you off

I would tell the shop to get bent and find a different shop

Depending on the model/age of the titan it could be a balanced 1st and 2nd and be just as good as any other reg out there,

I had a newer titan that was a balanced 1st/2nd. The legend breaths better below ~80ft,

There’s nothing wrong with the Titan 1st stages.
As long as they are adjusted so the intermediate pressure is around 135 to 140 psi with no upwards creep they are fine. With the 1st stage delivering that pressure plus enough flow, which I’m sure it is, then virtually all your breathing performance will be in the second stage. I could put a terrible second stage on a top of the line 1st stage and the breathing will be terrible. I could put a top of the line super breather 2nd on a mediocre 1st stage and the breathing will still be fantastic. Those top of the line balanced second stages from various companies are designed to breath like velvet even with severely diminishing intermediate pressure.
The Titan 1st stage uses the same internal parts as several other Aqualung models including the Conshelfs which the US Navy still uses and has been around since 1967. They are arguably one of the most durable and best reg designs ever.
If anything I’d look at changing out your second stages to something balanced and more high performance. You can mix and match it doesn’t matter, as long as the second stage is tuned to the IP of the first stage.
The second thing I’d change out is your dive shop.

find a new shop. Titan is a good breather when tuned properly by a competent service technician

First, you need to find different shops. Any shop that talks down on one brand in favor of another is not someone who you want to deal with.

And the lube that was mentioned is not unique to Atomic. Just about every piston regulator that is environmentally sealed uses an expensive lube to seal. Sealed diaphragms tend to be cheaper to service.

Do the Atomic ST1, T3 and B2 perform exactly the same?
Pretty much. Difference is in materials.

I use Atomic B2s fairly regularly. My personal regulators are Zeagles (both part of Huish). My Zeagles have parts included at service. The Atomics seem a bit fancier, with the automatic Venturi, but apart from that breathe about the same as my Zeagles, which is excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom