Aqualung i300 flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check how much it costs for the "repair" and time it will take and see if it's worth it to you, even if it isn't under warranty.

I put repair in quotes since the Oceanic, the mfg of the Aqua Lung computer, sent me a remanufactured computer to replace the Oceanic I sent in to be repaired, so I doubt you will get the same computer back. That was back awhile ago, but my understanding is they swap out computers until they have enough cores, and time, to do a production run of replacements. Most of the time the turnaround was quick, but your dealer would find out when setting up the return.

I would assume they would do the same thing with the Aqua Lung computer line.

Bob
Bob-

On their way to the bankruptcy (or at least a fire sale) that placed Oceanic and Hollis under Huish as brands and no longer a separate company, they sold Pelagic Pressure Systems to Aqualung in 2016. First they closed Ocean Pro, then they closed Aeris, next I think was pulling the plug on Lavacore, then the sale of Pelagic, then the sale of what was left to Huish. Can't say that by then you couldn't see it coming.

Also, Pelagic is not directly in charge of warranty and service on the computers they sell to Aqualung, Oceanic, Sherwood, perhaps still TUSA too. It is up to those vendors to then manage warranty and service on their own with the end customer, and go back to Pelagic if/when they need to work something out within the confines of the business arrangement between the two companies. Clearly Aqualung has a cozier relationship.

AL BCDs do have a 5 year limited lifetime warranty.
The service course(s) I referenced are for the shop technicians, not for the consumer. Yes, they are very basic, but the course covers ALL of the various Aqualung computer line, including some specific issues on removing and replacing straps and bands when changing batteries or for other reasons.
The battery cover replacement is NOT to be done at each change. It is something that came up after the fact, and should be a one-time only thing. PN is NS911159 and includes everything that is removed during replacement except for the battery. You still have to go through an LDS to get one.
Whatever you do, do NOT reassemble that with the existing battery cover and just hope for the best - get it changed.
Shouldn't there be a recall on this part then? They really advertise the i300 as a user-replaceable battery. Let's face it these batteries/o-rings are not very hard to change. It is a completely different story if the user is not aware of replacing a defective battery cover. In my opinion that is aqualungs responsibility to tell that to their customers. Unless I missed something previously, this is the first time I have ever heard of this.

not sure the gold covers are inherently defective. i have several old oceanic computers with the gold cover and they still work fine. yours definitely looks like it was chipped at some point though.

yours definitely looks like it was chipped at some point though.
Possibly when someone who didn't know how to change the battery tried to pry it open.

Possibly when someone who didn't know how to change the battery tried to pry it open.
I was the only one to change that battery... I noticed that little nitch before I changed it or even tried to take off the battery cover. That was also not my first time changing a dive computer battery. So if you are implying that I made that there; rest assured I did not.

Shouldn't there be a recall on this part then? They really advertise the i300 as a user-replaceable battery. Let's face it these batteries/o-rings are not very hard to change. It is a completely different story if the user is not aware of replacing a defective battery cover. In my opinion that is aqualungs responsibility to tell that to their customers. Unless I missed something previously, this is the first time I have ever heard of this.
I am not getting into any assumptions or speculation, I am telling you that the battery and band training that I just discovered a week or two ago says to change out the gold cover on the i300 when changing the battery. Whether there is any service bulletin or other communication coming down the road I can't say. But I am trying to help you out, and I am telling you to get your LDS up to speed on this information and then get them to go to work for you. Whether or not there is a n/c replacement of the part policy in effect, with the right information and the right way of asking for you, it could possibly happen. For sure it is not something that will be resolved in any way here on Scubaboard.

I am not getting into any assumptions or speculation, I am telling you that the battery and band training that I just discovered a week or two ago says to change out the gold cover on the i300 when changing the battery. Whether there is any service bulletin or other communication coming down the road I can't say. But I am trying to help you out, and I am telling you to get your LDS up to speed on this information and then get them to go to work for you. Whether or not there is a n/c replacement of the part policy in effect, with the right information and the right way of asking for you, it could possibly happen. For sure it is not something that will be resolved in any way here on Scubaboard.
I appreciate the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom