Aqualung fusion Heat Zippered or non Zippered hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vilinsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, Does anyone have an opinion on the Aqualung fusion Heat hood? Should I go with the zippered version or un-zippered version? Thanks again, Vlad

Last edited:
All of the zippered hoods I ever tried on felt stiff and clunky, so, I hate them. Have you tried on the zippered version?

I do have the zippered Whites (Aqualung) Fusion Heat Hood. Have used it at 36F and it was ok, only I sometimes feel cold water flushing through the scalp area as if the hood were balooning there. Perhaps I should have bought a smaller one. The zipper creates no inconvenience, just remember to close it - one more thing to pay attention to. My other hood is Waterproof 10mm. For me it is warmer but less comfortable.

Hi guys, Does anyone have an opinion on the Aqualung fusion Heat hood? Should I go with the zippered version or un-zippered version? Thanks again, Vlad

The Fusion hood is a well made and solid hood. With respect to zippered vs non zippered, there are advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I'm not a fan of a zippered hood because I either forget to close it, or I feel that cool trickle of water entering at the base of my neck and somehow it gives me that quick dash of paranoia of "is my neck seal leaking"? Some like the zipper because they don't like pulling a snug hood over their head, or they like the flexibility of unzipping it just a bit when the water's a bit warmer(thermocline).

I had a whites zippered hood, used it once and it's been sitting in s box ever since. I found it uncomfortable and attributed that to the zip, I too found it somewhat stiff. I currently use a Santi non zippered and like it much better. I also like the waterproof hoods. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom