Aqualung dive computer and Nitrox diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is like this for the Oceanic: There are two settings you can toggle between.

One setting automatically re-sets the gas mix to 50% on the second dive (for Oxygen exposure setting) and assumes you are on air for the deco calculation. My understanding is that this is an attempt to "be safe" to account for people who change gases between dives and forget to adjust the computer. The computer goes wacko at depth, in this case normally if you are below 70 feet.

The other setting is to have the computer NOT change the mix between repetitive dives. So if you punch in 32 % for the first dive then the computer assumes you will use 32% for the remainder of dives that day. I always try to set for this second option, because I typically use the same mix on repetitive dives.

I think if you don't mess with the F O2 at all for the first dive, it defaults to air and will remain there (assuming air) for all subsequent dives.

Maybe I got that right?
That is one of the possible configurations from Pelagic. Some models do not have the setting option and require entering a new mix each time, else defaults to the impossible mix of 50% O2 and 79% N. Some just retain the last mix entered (for 24 hrs) until changed and don't provide any other option.

The protocol in the program varies over model, brand, and generation.

Hi,
I am a new user of the Aqualung I550 and despite reading the entire product manual there is something that is not fully clear to me - what is the best way to use this computer for nitrox?
I am reading that you can set upto 3 different gases where one of them will always be air. Say Gas 1 is air and then you set gas 2 to 32% O2 - according to the manual 10 minutes after I choose Gas 2 - if I don't start my dive it will automatically revert back to Gas1... so this to me sounds like a serious source of problems..
Should one set Gas1 to Nitrox and so that it will always be set to that mixture?
My second question - after a nitrox dive - will the computer maintain this mixture for the next dives (within 24 hrs)? I assume it should as this is how it will calculate the parameters for the next dive - unfortunately I did not find any info on this matter.
Thanks!
Itay
Thanks for the question. I too had the same question, directions are not very clear!

Back
Top Bottom