Aqualung Calypso IV Does the 1st and 2nd stage match?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickyVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a Calyspo IV 1st stage and a Calypso (red label) regulator set. Where these sold together originally? What is the value and is anyone interested in buying them?

Attachments

• 20220331_081812[1].jpg
    20220331_081812[1].jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220331_081837[1].jpg
    20220331_081837[1].jpg
    60 KB · Views: 74
That second stage looks like a much earlier version than what I would expect with a Calypso IV. The Calypso IV was the latest from that line.

I will check some catalogs later, but from memory I would say the Calypso IV was around in the mid 70's. That second stage is more likely from the late 60's. Again, this is just an estimate from memory. More later.

As usually Luis is right.
The 2nd is a Calypso from 1967-1969.
The 1st is a Calypso IV from 1972 - 1974
And it's correct that the Calypso IV was the last of that model line.
From 1975 on AL sold the Conshelfs instead.

Attachments

• AL Calypso 1968.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • AL Calypso IV 1972.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
Thanks, you saved me some time.

That first catalog page reminded me that the early Calypso J (piston first stage) overlapped in time with the original Calypso (first balanced diaphragm first stage). Actually, I am not sure if I ever actually noticed that before. It is kind of strange that they were both around at the same time, sharing the same name, but very different first-stage design.

The last in this series, probably the Calypso VI. I have one from 1977. I can't tell the difference between IV and VI. Look the same.

I don't see any external difference between the Calypso IV and the Calypso VI. Even the yoke and yoke screw look the same heavy design.

I actually never notice there were two different labels... I probably thought the "VI" was just a typo (or I might have even reversed it in my mind without noticing). I don't remember ever seen a Calypso V, but I don't have catalogs for 1977, 1978 and 1979. In 1976 there is a Calypso IV and in 1980 they show a Calypso VI. I don't know when it actually switched.

I might be mistaken, but I think USD made the change after the recall. The Calypso VI numbers on the first stage start from serial number one while the Calypso IV numbers ended around 700,000 - 800,000. After the recall, all the Calypso VI’s had the hp seat bushings installed in them, thus the difference. I have a VI with serial number 013,286.

8I don't see any external difference between the Calypso IV and the Calypso VI. Even the yoke and yoke screw look the same heavy design.

I actually never notice there were two different labels... I probably thought the "VI" was just a typo (or I might have even reversed it in my mind without noticing). I don't remember ever seen a Calypso V, but I don't have catalogs for 1977, 1978 and 1979. In 1976 there is a Calypso IV and in 1980 they show a Calypso VI. I don't know when it actually switched.
My bad, thought I have a 1979 US Divers Catalog with the Calypso VI already offered, but now it seems it is a 1980 US Divers Catalog, just the Copyright on the Front Page is from 1979.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom