Aqualung Calypso - Good entry-level reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Proprietary hose? I use one for a stage reg but I've never noticed a proprietary hose....

//

As for the OP's question. In terms of performance and reliability it's going to be just fine in warm water. Some high-performance regs will breathe easier but for the price of it, the Calypso is a good, simple, bulletproof regulator.... for warm water.

If you're looking for something maybe a little bit better that would be suitable in both warm AND cold water (you may plan on diving locally in the future) then the Titan LX Supreme is also a good investment and may be the only regulator you ever need to buy.

R..

Yes, the newer versions have a proprietary hose.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 09:06 PM ----------

Just noticed ams511 post, I didn't know that, over here you can only get the proprietary hose version.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 09:07 PM ----------

Is that "quick connect" thing new? My calypso is maybe... I want to say 7 years old.

R..

At least 3 years.

First, welcome to Scubaboard.

Second, You do not always get what you pay for in scuba gear. Usually the best value is in the midpoint of the product line. I looked at Leisurepro and a Calypso is $200 while a Titan is $225. The difference between these two is that the first stage of the Calypso is an unbalanced piston while the Titan is a balanced diaphragm. For the extra $25 I would go with the Titan.

Thanks for the welcome and for your response! I would prefer to go with the Titan, but the pricing everywhere other than Leisurepro is a bit of a push for me financially.

Do you anticipate that I would have problems with a warranty or any other issues if I purchased gear from Leisurepro? As I understand, LP isn't an "authorized dealer." Pardon my ignorance, but what does that really mean? Counterfeit? Used, but somehow packaged and sold as "new"? Some of the local divers I've met seem anti-LP...

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 11:14 PM ----------

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for an entry-level reg in the same price range as the Calypso? It's unfortunate to see that the most recent version is so unimpressive.

Thanks for the welcome and for your response! I would prefer to go with the Titan, but the pricing everywhere other than Leisurepro is a bit of a push for me financially.

Do you anticipate that I would have problems with a warranty or any other issues if I purchased gear from Leisurepro? As I understand, LP isn't an "authorized dealer." Pardon my ignorance, but what does that really mean? Counterfeit? Used, but somehow packaged and sold as "new"? Some of the local divers I've met seem anti-LP...

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for an entry-level reg in the same price range as the Calypso? It's unfortunate to see that the most recent version is so unimpressive.

Personally I'd buy a Titan from LP, any warranty issues that arise, unlikely, will be handled by LP directly. Who is selling the regulator has no bearing on quality they are all from Aqualung. The only difference is some sellers are "authorized" by manufacturer to sell and some not. The non authorized retailers did not buy direct from manufacturer but obtained stock by some other means. With an authorized seller you can usually opt into any "Free Parts" program, which is overrated in my opinion but that's a whole other topic. Talk to LP and find out what warranty they do offer.

Last edited:

LP is a dealer for many of the brands it sells. However, I don't think they are an Aqua-Lung dealer. Nothing they sell is counterfeit, they purchase genuine products from other dealers both in the US and abroad. If they are not an AL dealer you will not get an AL warranty but a LP one. You will also not get parts for life.

Other dealers should be able to match or at least come close to LP's price. So you can use LP's price as leverage. You can try Prime Scuba, Online Scuba, Dolphin Scuba, or Scuba.com. MAP pricing only relates to advertising not to the actual transaction.

Last edited:
I guess you were correct ams511, obviously I'm not the only person who doesn't like the proprietary hoses.

From AL website:

"We are bringing back the Calypso regulator with the traditional hose attachment. Referred to as the Calypso Classic, you now have a choice as to which second stage best suit your needs."

I also consider serviceability and availability of rebuild kits for regulators important. You can't go wrong with an Aqualung (formerly US Divers if you didn't know) product. I have a US Divers first stage that is 20+ years old, and an Aqualung Titan reg that is 15 years old... still going strong, and kits are readily available just about everywhere.

The scubapro MK2 would be fairly comparable to the aqualung calypso. The best way to save money on a regulator is to buy used, although there are some bad deals out there on used gear so you'd probably need some guidance from someone who A) knows what they're looking at, and B) is not trying to sell you something.

You are absolutely correct that an entry level regulator is perfectly fine for the recreational diving you've described, and honestly, either the calypso or MK2 can handle pretty much any diving any one of us is likely to do, except maybe ice diving. Not long ago, professional divers routinely did extreme dives on regulators many current dive shop employees might describe as not suitable for a bathtub.

Thanks so much, everyone! I appreciate your insight.

My new recommendation is this. The picture shows a din but the description says it also comes in yoke. The set is a balanced first and second stage and should breath better than than the Calypso.

If you are not familiar with the brand, Hollis, Oceanic, and Aeris are related companies so service should not be an issue. Also keep that in mind when selecting an octopus, service is easier to find if the regulators are all the same brand.

Back
Top Bottom