Aqualung Calypso - Good entry-level reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all! I'm looking to purchase my first expensive chunk of scuba gear - a regulator - as I am no longer interested in renting. I will be going on 1 or 2 dive trips per year, only in warm waters in the Caribbean, and to a depth of about 80 feet. Can anyone recommend a reliable entry-level regulator? The Aqualung Calypso looks good to me, but I'd greatly appreciate recommendations and/or folks sharing their personal experiences with the Calypso or other similarly-priced regs. I'm on a budget, so while I'm not able to spend a lot, I also know that you get what you pay for and don't want to go super-cheap on life-sustaining equipment.

Thanks so much for your help!

The Calypso is a very common rental reg for good reason, it's simple and reliable. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a proprietary hose which means in the event of failure depending on location finding a replacement hose could be problematic. Having said that Aqualung has one of the largest, if not the largest, dealer network in the world so in reality I guess it might not be such a problem.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

PS Welcome to Scubaboard.

Simple and realiable : true enough. You intend to use it around 80 feet, great, 'cause it's not very confortable breathing with it deeper.

I also know that you get what you pay for and don't want to go super-cheap on life-sustaining equipment.

First, welcome to Scubaboard.

Second, You do not always get what you pay for in scuba gear. Usually the best value is in the midpoint of the product line. I looked at Leisurepro and a Calypso is $200 while a Titan is $225. The difference between these two is that the first stage of the Calypso is an unbalanced piston while the Titan is a balanced diaphragm. For the extra $25 I would go with the Titan.

The best deals on regulators is usually on close-outs and sometimes used gear. If you are in the city then check out the used gear at Leisurepro, it is serviced so you can just take it and dive. I do not recommend Craig's list or eBay for newbies because you do not know what to look for in used gear. Although it would be fine for new gear from a reputable seller.

There are some Hollis (Oceanic) closeouts going on now but they are more expensive than $200.

The Calypso is a very common rental reg for good reason, it's simple and reliable. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a proprietary hose which means in the event of failure depending on location finding a replacement hose could be problematic.

Proprietary hose? I use one for a stage reg but I've never noticed a proprietary hose....

//

As for the OP's question. In terms of performance and reliability it's going to be just fine in warm water. Some high-performance regs will breathe easier but for the price of it, the Calypso is a good, simple, bulletproof regulator.... for warm water.

If you're looking for something maybe a little bit better that would be suitable in both warm AND cold water (you may plan on diving locally in the future) then the Titan LX Supreme is also a good investment and may be the only regulator you ever need to buy.

R..

You can get a HOG D1 first stage, classic second stage AND hose length of your choice for 179 bucks. Don't let the price fool you, they are awesome regs.

Is that "quick connect" thing new? My calypso is maybe... I want to say 7 years old.

R..

I have dived for many, many years, and used many different regulators. Here is a blog I think you will find interesting on regulator first stages. I was surprised that the current Calypso is an unbalanced piston, as the Calypso used to be the top-of-the-line regulator for U.S. Divers Company (before they became Aqualung), and used to be a flow-through piston design that I really like. Anyway, here's the blog:

Regulator Rubbish: Dive Gear Makers Should Get Back to Basics | Halstead

I like balanced diaphragm regulators, but also like the flow-though balanced piston, which has fewer parts and therefore is easier to maintain.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom