Aqualung Airsource 3 tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
D

dp_stickney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All - Does anyone have any recommendations or service manual for the tuning of an Aqualung Airsource 3 without an inline tuner? I was counting the turns of the crown, but it's not quite right.

Thank you!

David

Tuning that reg without the special inline adjuster is an absolute PITA. You'll be doing sequential light attachment and removal of the QD fitting, because as I recollect, the ID of the fitting won't accept the size hex needed to adjust the orifice.

Sequentially screw in the orifice, lightly replace the QD and pressurize, until the valve just seals. Then remove the QD one more time and add another 45° turn for spec cracking effort (1.5-2.1" WC). Very stiff.

Lever should end up just over 3mm below case rim when pressurized, but the key is measured cracking effort.

Tuning by counting turns is inadvisable. A twelfth of a turn discrepancy may be 0.2" difference in cracking effort.

There is no independent adjustment of spring tension in this overly complex regulator. The orifice controls  everything: spring tension, seat seal AND lever height. That's a prescription for a bad outcome at depth if your lever height is too low due to a scratched knife edge or worn seat. One of my least favorite regs to service. Good luck.

Rsingler -

This is exactly the dance that I was having today and was not happy with the result. I may have to find an inline adjustment tool...

Thank you for your feedback!

I was looking at that which also requires the purchase of the tool. What do you think of Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool

It's not as well made as Scubatools version.
Scubatools version will fit this extension, despite the disclaimer.

Back
Top Bottom