Aquacolor color correcting masks - Gimmick or the real deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love it.

So Cal diving, generally very high vis out at the islands, sun up in clear skys all the time, lots of light at all recreational depths - its made a very notiable difference.

As for green on the surface, yeah, that happens. In a few moments, its gone. Love my mask. It fits, it doesn't leak, it doesn't fog, and it makes colors pop.

If I was a DM with students, no way. You need to see their eyes, and this makes it tough to read the wearer's eyes. Aside from that, best mask I've ever had.

K

Our eyes adjust, or compensate after a few minutes, the mask is not any different than sunglasses, I think it's a gimmick. As a filter for filming, that's different. Film does not have a brain, it doesn't adjust, therefore you would see a difference between images taken with and without the filter. I have a pair of Serengeti's with the "rose" tint, in use, greens are dulled, but scene contrast is increased. The masks I've seen look to have a "rosey" tint, so they probably do the same thing. It looks cool at first, things are brighter... but after a while you realize that greens are dull and dead. The better solution for better color is to use a bright light, IMO.

I've had my Sea Visions for about a year or so and I love them. The color is wierd when you get out of the water, but the real improvement seems to be in their ability to increase the contrast in the water. Your eyes do tend to adjust to the color, but I've noticed that I can spot things in the distance that my dive buddies can't even begin to see because of the water. I did get the Rx version, but I've also dived in the non Rx and it was still much clearer than standard lenses. here is an earlier post on this subject:http://www.scubaboard.com/t12147/s.html

It just made everything seem darker.

My buddy has one of the yellow colored ones and he swears by it for northeast diving. Supposedly it improves visibility. He says he routinely comes up reporting "great" vis of 25+ feet while everyone else complaine that the vis was around 10 feet.

Never used one of these mask but looking into getting the yellow ones, I've played paintball with the yellow type lenses. Beleive me they make everything so much brighter and clearer, not yellow like I had thought that would happen.

I've been using a SeaVision 2000 mask for 5 years and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I've used it in Belize, Puerto Rico and California to depths of 139' both day and night.
Based on talking to my buddies, I can see farther and with more detail than anyone using clear lenses. I can spot flourescent colors (inlcuding small nudibranchs) long before I can make out their shapes.

I just bought a Max Vision to see if the yellow tint really does help at night. Since I haven't tried it yet, I don't know if it will work as advertised.

In 10 years of diving its the best gear purchase I have made.

-blaise

Back
Top Bottom