Aquacat cabin 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. We did book cabin 11. While new to live aboards we are otherwise fairly well seasoned travelers and have done well with small spaces including one stay in a tiny house in cave country. On a recent Socorro trip the only time in cabin was sleeping so I am willing to adapt to save nearly 1000 that can go to another trip.

@TravisD on the last liveaboard we used an over the door shoe organizer that worked very well to store small items. Only thing I might add to that is something to secure it so it won’t move in rough seas. Packing cubes are also very handy and I have several clips for railings already.

Any other suggests appreciated.

If you have stuff to charge*, a short extension cord is handy - they have a dedicated (outside) charging station for for bigger stuff... for small things (like GoPro's and tablets) the plugs in the rooms aren't always close to flat surfaces (in one cabin we were in, they were basically in the middle of the headboard....)

I have a ~3-foot light duty cord that I carry that has 3 2-prong outlets - plenty of capacity for a couple of small usb charger bricks.

(*I haven't looked to see if they have changed their rules about what you're allowed to charge in the room, given some of the other vents one dive boats in the last couple of years...)

@uncfnp enjoy your trip on the Aquacat! I have been on her 5 times (somehow, always in Cabin 4). It is a fun boat with a great crew.

@uncfnp have you done your Aquacat trip yet and if so, how was it? I look forward to reading your Trip Report.

Hi Hoag. We finished it and returned to the states April 16th. I have contemplated making a report but just haven’t yet, not sure I had enough to share. Will say we both enjoyed the trip and will probably go again next year.

As you know the boat is designed well for divers and very comfortable. The crew outstanding. And I never met a Captain quite like John. Food was very good though they did struggle with breakfast. The first group to go fishing caught a mahi mahi so we had it as ceviche the first day and grilled the next. I enjoyed the off boat excursions, went fishing twice and feed the Iguana. And yes they do bite!

We had wonderfully sunny days but a bit of wind kept us from some of the sites we wanted to do. The days were a bit nippy cool in the beginning and some divers were quite chilled after the dives. But it warmed up nicely later in the week and made SI’s and evenings on the outdoor areas very pleasant.

You’ve got me started so I will try and post a more through report tomorrow or the weekend.:wink:

Lisa

12 Nov 2022 Cabin 11. I'll second all the good reviews. Showed up solo, two of us were assigned to the cubbyhole cabin. Yes, it's small, but definitely more than sufficient. Very good dive site variety - shallow reefs, unlimited walls, drifts, a blue hole. The reefs are remarkably healthy. Sea life is abundant. Believe what others say about the food - Chef Lauro exceeds expectations. Very conscientious dive team. Safe, interesting, friendly. Deciding factor for choosing AquaCat was acceptance of double sidemount. I kept within the announced dive times, and even though I had air, I was always satisfied with time spent underwater. Other bits - drink coffee on the observation deck as the sun rises; bring a sleeping hammock (e.g. Grand Trunk) I slept 3 nights under the stars; there's 2 extra showers on the dive deck so I could allow my insta-roomie to sleep in; bring a solo diver certification; dive Nitrox; avoid temptation - there's delicious food and beverage to an absolute excess, but the dives come fast and furious.

@gmerick: Was not aware that AquaCat was accepting solo dive credentials and I did not find any reference to this on their site. Can you elaborate?

@gmerick: Was not aware that AquaCat was accepting solo dive credentials and I did not find any reference to this on their site. Can you elaborate?
Look in the FAQ for the Aqua Cat. They will allow solo diving but you must, obviously, be certified to solo dive and have the prerequisite equipment as defined by your certifying agency.

Let us know how you like Aqua Cat. I was looking into same boat for a trip

Let us know how you like Aqua Cat. I was looking into same boat for a trip
I have been on the Aqua Cat 5 times. I love it. Compared to other LOBs that I have been on, the cabins are huge (Cabin 11 notwithstanding). It has easy non-stop flights (for me from Toronto, but for you out of JFK.) The dive deck is relatively spacious and is set up to refill either N32 or Air. The food is (at least when I was onboard) simple yet tasty and plentiful. The crew has always had a fair degree of turn-over, but without exception has been amazing. Finally, being a catamaran, it is very stable and when anchored or tied off at a calm, sheltered location for the night, she is very stable.

It has been a few years since I have been on her, so I can't say what the reefs look like now, but the nice thing about being a LOB is that they will do their best to find you the best possible conditions that they can.

I highly recommend the Aqua Cat!
Aqua Cat-30 copy.jpg
Bahamas 2010-70.jpg
Bahamas 2010-68.jpg
Bahamas 2012-21.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom