Aqua Seal Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any other urethane based adhesives that would function as well as Aquaseal, are readily available at the local hardware store, and are cheaper? Aquaseal must be proud of their product because the stuff costs $7/ 1oz. tube at my LDS.

Would Shoe Goo brand adhesive work just as well with neoprene or does Aquaseal have magical properties that make it work better? Shoe Goo comes in a "marine" version. Can you thin it with tolulene, MEK, or something similiar to make it work better?

I'll experiment myself and see and report back. It would be great to hear from any others with experience.

On a side note, when reparing a seam with Aquaseal, lay the bead of adhesive over the repair, then place some wax paper over it and lay a something flat and heavy on it. Do this for 10 minutes or so, and then remove the weight and wax paper to let it dry. I've found this forces the adhesive into the neoprene surface better and gives you a better bond.

Thanks.

WD

Having tried shoe goo in a number names I can say that it will not work as well as aqua seal/sure, I have a dry suit with ruined seams and used the shoe goo.
The stuff does not seal as well. I did the prep and used it as stated but the aqua sure bits stuck but the shoe goo leaks as bad as ever and you can't get it off either.
I have now a suit that can't be repaired and so I have a new suit? smit happens

scubadoguk:
Having tried shoe goo in a number names I can say that it will not work as well as aqua seal/sure, I have a dry suit with ruined seams and used the shoe goo.
The stuff does not seal as well. I did the prep and used it as stated but the aqua sure bits stuck but the shoe goo leaks as bad as ever and you can't get it off either.
I have now a suit that can't be repaired and so I have a new suit? smit happens

I had about the same results when I used Shoe Goo to glue some inner tube rubber over my knee pads that had worn out. The stuff stuck to the old kevlar knee pad but not to the adjacent neoprene. I thought that I may have just needed to thin it a little to get it to penetrate. Maybe I shouldn't be so cheap and just buy the Aquaseal. Local dive shop sells the 4oz. tube for $24.00 (ouch)!

WD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom