Aqua-Lung/ U.S. Divers Aluminum Cylinders from 70's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollywood13

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A friend gave me two Aqua-Lung/U.S Divers aluminum cylinders from the early 70's. They are brand new, never been used and still in the original boxes. I did some research I know they are Luxfer cylinders made with Aluminum 6351 and are pretty much useless for diving. However, I am wondering if there is any collector value to these cylinders. I opened up one of the boxes to get pictures, but the other is still in the original unopened box.Is there any value to these or are they only worth their weight in scrap aluminum? I have seen similar J-valves going on Ebay going for $40-60 so maybe the value is in the valves?

IMAG0165.jpgIMAG0166.jpg
Thanks in advance for any info!

Those are low-pressure AL72s. They have TERRIBLY buoyancy characteristics and are nicknamed "floaters". About 5 pounds positive when full and 11 pounds positive when empty! Hope you like a backbreaker of a weightbelt. Only made for a year or so, IIRC.

We have a couple in our shop that we use for compressed air "blowguns" to dry parts, or to test regulators.

I would think, being NIB, they would have value to a collector. I would be interested as a curiousity, (or as a prank set of doubles to put together and give to unsuspecting people to dive, LOL!), but I doubt I could swing it right now.

WAY cool tanks!

PS: 6351 alloy absolutely CAN be used to dive, it just takes a slightly more involved VIP procedure.

Being new and not subject to pressure, they are probably fine. Get the appropriate testing done, and you should have years of life. The issue with 6351 is slow and happens over time and under load, not immediately . . .

- Tim

They make good marker buoys.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know you could dive with 6351. Everything I read about it made it sound like all 6351 cylinders are just waiting to explode.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know you could dive with 6351. Everything I read about it made it sound like all 6351 cylinders are just waiting to explode.

That's what some dive shops would like you to think. Others take the position that all cylinders should be properly tested and inspected based on the type of cylinder so a 6351 that has had the required test done is no greater a threat then any other tank.

Down here, one shop could care less and the other acts like you are bringing in a WWII grenade. The thrid just makes sure all the stamps and stickers are there and fills with no issues.

OP is correct. Actually DOT has condemned that cylinder... Owning two, mine will be heading to the scrap yard when a favorable aluminum price hits....

If you read about the tanks they CAN be Used for Diving and the DOT has said they can NOT be used with Poison Gases , but the Dive Shops tell you all the bull to get you to buy a new tank or to rent a tank , or they just do NOT know what they are talking about or how to do there jobs

call PSI for testing and they will tell you also here PSI-PCI - Home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom