Aqua Lung Legend vs Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a pair of the base legends. Dive shop owner made a great point, what are you going to do, make it more difficult to breathe with the adjustment knob? Not worth it for me.
I'd go with the LX for sure. The adjustment is handy when you do your entries into the water from a boat or when you are surface swimming and potentially you are using your snorkel. The system AL has is great!!!

I agree with BurhanMuntasser

unitink72,Your LDS has a point,however the adjustment is very useful for me also .
I like to set my reg very "loose", as in it takes pretty much no effort to start the air flow, however after a dive while floating on the surface waiting on a boat, it would free flow like mad if left that way...luckily, I can just detune it with the knob and no more problems.

I like adjustment for the same reason the poster above said. I set mine really loose but tighten it up on the surface to prevent freeflow.

By the way those are great quality regs. Congrats

unitink72,Your LDS has a point,however the adjustment is very useful for me also .
I like to set my reg very "loose", as in it takes pretty much no effort to start the air flow, however after a dive while floating on the surface waiting on a boat, it would free flow like mad if left that way...luckily, I can just detune it with the knob and no more problems.

There is still an adjustment on the base reg, which *I believe* will accomplish what you are describing.

There is still an adjustment on the base reg, which *I believe* will accomplish what you are describing.

The only adjustment on the Legend second stage is for the venturi assist not cracking pressure. In the LX, the adjustment is a combined adjustment cracking/venturi.

Check the table at the bottom of this page:

Aqua Lung Regulator Range

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Crosshairs above was saying that the extra adjustment in the aqualung MBS system is nice because it helps prevent freeflow at the surface. I was just saying that the more simple system on the base legend is made for this purpose. From the base legend's website:

[/FONT]

• The venturi switch helps prevent freeflow at the surface and when the regulator is out of the diver’s mouth
  • The opening effort is preset in a fixed position so the diver doesn’t have to worry about adjusting the regulator during the dive

Here's a good thread about the difference between the two controls. The base legend has the +/- "switch" that is designed to prevent free-flows at the surface.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...y-use-dive-predive-lever-adjustment-knob.html

Sorry to resurrect an old thread like this but I'm facing exactly the same problem:

Is there a valid reason to shell an extra 100 euros for Aqualung's Master Breathing System on the 2nd stage (Legend LX), ie control of the venturi + cracking pressure with the same knob, as opposed to simple venturi control knob (plain and simple Legend), which is what I had on my regs up to now.

i'm buying 2 regs for myself and the missus, so 200 euros difference between the Legend and the Legend LX, which does add up - we work in diving and dive everyday - could the LX's MBS feature increase problem risks when regs are used intensively? Is cracking pressure adjustment really worth the extra $$? Really tempted to go with the plain and simple Legend.

cheers

b

Well this one whatever it is I bought at the second hand shop for £103

full.jpg

came with a Beauchat octopus, so the price is the only difference to look at

The venturi switch helps prevent freeflow at the surface and when the regulator is out of the diver’s mouth

Here's a good thread about the difference between the two controls. The base legend has the +/- "switch" that is designed to prevent free-flows at the surface.

and whilst all this sounds unnecessarily wonderful

ON THE SURFACE YOUR THE REGULATOR SHOULD NEVER BE OUT OF YOUR MOUTH

and whilst all this sounds unnecessarily wonderful

ON THE SURFACE YOUR THE REGULATOR SHOULD NEVER BE OUT OF YOUR MOUTH

Sure, but remember some people use snorkels on the surface.
When you teach, you also have to talk quite a bit, so the regulator is often out of your mouth. Same when you're leading dives, you're giving instructions quite a bit actually.
Reg's usually in your right hand so not really a problem though, it's more an alternate air source issue, but with proper positioning and equipement this is also usually fine.

The main difference between the Legend and Legend LX is not the venturi knob however, both have this, but venturi only or venturi + cracking effort knob (MBS) on the LX -

Not having used such as system up to now, I'm not convinced and will probably go for the plain ol' Legend and save 200 bucks

Is there a valid reason to shell an extra 100 euros for Aqualung's Master Breathing System on the 2nd stage (Legend LX), ie control of the venturi + cracking pressure with the same knob, as opposed to simple venturi control knob (plain and simple Legend), which is what I had on my regs up to now.
I believe that it is worth it to have the ability to adjust both, the cracking effort and venturi.

could the LX's MBS feature increase problem risks when regs are used intensively?
Not increase problem risks but may help you deal with air leaks should there be issues with the seat until you get the regulator serviced.

Is cracking pressure adjustment really worth the extra $$? Really tempted to go with the plain and simple Legend.
For me based on use and experience, it certainly is worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom