Aqua Lung - Legend or Legend LX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombarie

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear all,

Have been reviewing various reg alternatives recently and decided to go with Aqua Lung. Was initially considering Apeks, but there appear to be no dealers around here who can service them - exist Apeks. Scubapro S600/MK25 looks great as well (very light and compact, great for travelling), but at EUR 520 it is a bit too pricey for me.

So I settled on the Aqua Lung Legend series. Great performance, can be serviced anywhere in the world and - there is a dealer in town. My shop will sell me a Legend for EUR 280 and a Legend LX Supreme for EUR 380. I've checked these prices with various online shops - seem quite competitive.

I've reviewed the Aqua Lung brochure and website to review the differences between the Legend and the Legend LX - as far as I can see, the only difference is the BRA knob on the LX series' second stage. I expect there are some differences with the first stage too, however, cannot verify (I know the Legend LX Supreme is designed for cold water - a feature that to me is less relevant - I'll be diving warm water exclusively).

If the BRA knob indeed is the only difference, do you reckon it justifies the EUR 100 in price (this is also the cost of an LX octo)? Also, does anyone have experience with the Legend. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you - Arjan.

I really like adjustable regs, especially the new generation where the knob really does something rather than just make the reg breathe worse. But having said that, I'd find it hard to make myself pay EUR100 just to add the knob.

There should be a Legend LX in between the two models you mention, that sells for about $60-$70 more than the plain old Legend. That's the one I'd go for.

BTW, for the difference between the Supreme and non-Supreme versions, see my post a week or so ago about DEMA regs.

Bombarie once bubbled...
I've reviewed the Aqua Lung brochure and website to review the differences between the Legend and the Legend LX - as far as I can see, the only difference is the BRA knob on the LX series' second stage. I expect there are some differences with the first stage too, however, cannot verify (I know the Legend LX Supreme is designed for cold water - a feature that to me is less relevant - I'll be diving warm water exclusively).

If the BRA knob indeed is the only difference, do you reckon it justifies the EUR 100 in price (this is also the cost of an LX octo)? Also, does anyone have experience with the Legend. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you - Arjan.

Dear oxyhacker -

thanks for your input. My shop also sells the Legend LX - it sells for a few euros less than the Legend LX Supreme. I understand from the brochures that the Supremes are designed for cold water usage, but will revert to your post to learn more about these models.

Would you know whether there is a difference between the 1st stages of the "ordinary" Legend and the Legend LX?

Again - thanks. This forum is a great source of knowledge.

There is no real difference between the Legend and the Legend LX internally (minus three parts) I have a copy of the schematics right in front of me.

Hallmac

I'll defer to Hallmac on this - I have for some reason an LX and LX Supreme schematic, but no plain Legend.

Traditionally most of the regs that came in non-adjustable and adustable versions. like the Scubapro G200/G250 or Apeks TX40/TX50, used a different air tube (usually the most expensive part on the stage) so it was not cost effective to try to upgrade one to the other (which was probably the whole point). Some of the newer like the SP S550/S600 ones don't, and the only difference is the knob and a few other little parts. This is cool because it means you have an upgrade path should you want it, that won't cost much more than if you'd bought the adjustable version in the first place, and sometimes its even cheaper!

If you want to double check, ask your AL dealer where you priced the reg "What will it cost me to upgrade the Legend to adjustable should I want to do so next annual?".

Bombarie once bubbled...
Dear oxyhacker -
Would you know whether there is a difference between the 1st stages of the "ordinary" Legend and the Legend LX?

Never mind!

hallmac

Thank you all for your input.

I understand from Hallmac's comments that the 2nd stages of the Legend and the Legend LX are similar bar for 3 components - presumably to add the BRA knob functionality. I guess these shouldn't impact the breathing characteristics of the one 2nd stage over the other.

Hallmac, do you have schematics of the Legend 1st stage and Legend LX 1st stage as well? Are these the same - your input would be very valuable - as the Acqua Lung website and/or brochures do not provide any info in this respect. Thanks!

regards, Arjan.

I have the schematics. The first stages are the same!

Hallmac

Bombarie...

It sounds like you've done your homework.

I've breathed a Legend LX Supreme... It's definitely an excellent reg in terms of performance. I couldn't tell you anything else about it. (Sorry.)

That said, you posted that the major reason that you decided not to go with an Apeks reg is because you'll have a difficult time getting them serviced.

Since Aqualung now owns Apeks, I understand that most, if not all, Aqualung dealers are now equipped to service Apeks regulators.

You might want to verify that to see if servicing your Apeks is really as much of a problem as you think it is. After all, if your Aqualung LDS can service Apeks regs, then that issue is would be moot.

Back
Top Bottom