Aqua Lung Kronos!!! Solution in need of a problem???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Seahound,

I bought the Kronos (supreme) a year ago and have really enjoyed it -it's been reliable and easy to breath. If it's tuned right, the Venturi switch is probably the most useful feature because you can breath easy at depth and not have free flows at the surface (if you remember to use it).

As for the side exhaust, it's a tad gimmicky but I still like it. It puts the bubbles 'out of the way' so that they don't bother me when I'm diving upright for taking photos or such. When I'm horizontal though I don't really notice the difference. I also read that it's supposed to warm the incoming air but if it does, it's imperceptible.

There is a problem with the side exhaust collecting water after a dive, so it does require a little extra work when you're cleaning gear.

Compared to other Aqualung regulators, it seems to me like it's the same car but with a few extra bells and whistles.

Cheers,

Doug

Seahound,

I dive the Kronos because I wanted a reg that could side vent the bubbles as I learn photography. It has proven very efficient while vertical, horizontal is no difference from other regs.

I found that during training of OW my rental, just a standard Titan would have bubbles pass over my face and it was annoying when I was watching for instructions via the instructor. The Kronos completely takes care of that.

Also it has 2 hp ports which I use, one for my transmitter and the other for my mini spg. I also added the lip shield to mine and it keeps my lips warmer.

I've taken my reg down to 65+ feet and had no problems in breathing wet or hard. Compared to my dive partners reg; he dives the XTX200 Apeks there is a difference in breathing.

I tried his while shallow and it just breathes better, not by much but I could tell the difference. Here is a quick video of the regulator performing while semi vertical. It is really nice that the bubbles stay out of your view.

View My Video[/url]

p.s here is a pic, take note where the bubbles are during deployment. Many other regs will cover your mask for a split second. This comes in handy when you are getting that macro pic and need that split second.

11rxkpy.jpg

I dive with a Kronos and I love it. I've taken it down to 100' with no problems. The lip guard comes in handy when diving in cold water.

The Kronos is an answer to an problem, right or wrong. The question is how do I prevent a regulator from freezing.

Aqualung engineers thought that if they diverted the warm air you exhale around the lp valve they could prevent a second stage from freezing in cold water as the fresh air rushes through the orifice. Side exhaust was just an added benefit.

I just read on Aqualungs website that the Kronos supreme has not only a environmental kit but it is also overbalanced on the 1st stage...

Can anyone confirm this? I was bummed because I purchased the regular Kronos and added only the lip guard because I wanted to color cordinate my reg to my bc, red.

I called to get the environmetal kit but its on back order, and now I hear the Kronos supreme is over balanced, when I first purchased my Kronos, it never said anything about the supreme being over balanced.

Is over balanced over rated, is it really true that you'll breathe easier at depth? My LDS has told me it's a gimmick and you cannot over balance a 1st stage.

What do others think?

Thanks

I environmentally sealed version is over balanced. It is possible to over balance 1st stages, with apeks and aqualung this is a side effect of how they seal up their first stages. Your LDS is half right, the way over balancing is advertised is gimmicky. As you descend the IP will increase at a rate faster than ambient pressure, but it's not enough that you'd actually notice anything. If you have a balanced second stage then whatever small advantage you got from overbalancing is gone.
So yes, over balancing is over rated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom