Aqua lung HP 3.5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this tank that was described as an aqua lung HP 3.5 but that is all the information the seller will provide. Can someone give me an idea of what this might be.

3.5 was the name AL put on the PST 3500 psi high pressure tanks when they got an exclusive on them in the mid-90s, the same tanks which Sherwood had formerly sold as Genesis tanks (and by which name they are often still referred to) . They came in three sizes, 80, 100 and 120 cf so, all labeled 3.5 so they are best differentiated by height, being about 20", 24" and 28" high. Oh, and they have the narrow 7/8" valve threading, so they require special valves.

Any reason to shy away from these tanks? Have a lead on 2 100s for a good price. The valve threading isn't much of an issue if they already have valves, right?

Being 3500 PSI that special valve (with the exception of a few rogue items) will be DIN. (The successor models being 3442 PSI got around this and sport the convertible 3/4 PT valves.) If you're good with DIN then they have your name on them.

They do have that small neck and they can be a little more difficult to deal with if tumbling is ever needed.

I (mainly my wife actually) have been diving a pair of the 100s for 5 years and they're nice. We just picked up another pair and they hydro'd just fine.

Other than those details you are pretty much looking at the equivalent $350. X-100 cylinders.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom