Aqua Lung Essentials Package and Potential Upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you wind up sticking with the console computer in the package, your thought to also get an inexpensive wrist computer is not bad. I dive with a backup computer, because all my diving is while traveling places I don't want a failed computer to screw up my diving. One computer is on my wrist, and one is in my console. FWIW, I rarely look at the one in the console - the console is, however, a handy place to store it where I can't lose it.

Packages are tricky. They may look like a good deal, but if you don't actually like what you can get this way you will either be stuck with stuff you're not happy with, or spend more eventually re-buying stuff. On the other hand, if you really get into this and stick with it, you will probably re-buy stuff no matter how hard you try to get it right the first time. :) If a good deal gets you into your own gear and diving more that's not such a bad thing.

Note that most serious divers do "pack up and travel with a full set of gear." There's much to be said for using stuff you know and like for free, rather than paying to rent stuff you don't.

Rarely, if ever, and when I do it will likely be using rental gear (I know the Titan isn't designed for cold water)

Things can always change, but right now, living in the Florida Keys, I'm expecting 95% of my dives to be local, or in the Caribbean/Bahamas. If my husband can get his deviated septum fixed and be able to equalize, he'll get certified and we might do more distant dive trips, but even then I'd probably be more inclined to rent than pack up and travel with a full set of gear
I didn’t notice your gender. Did you discuss the Women’s package? Same price and items as Essential, except has the Pearl BCD for women instead of the Pro HD. Pearl is hybrid, aspects of both jacket and back inflate. Shaped differently where it hits your hips, and different width to height ratio for body proportions.

Jackets are really good at floating you vertical at the surface - if that's where you dive. Also float youthe highest if you need to spot the boat in some light chop.In some locations that's an actual consideration.

One nice thing about back-inflate is it does not squeeze you when it inflates as the wing is completely behind you.

A bp/w is a back inflate, the difference is most of your weight can be/is in the plate so you need less and the center of gravity is often better. Personally not for me as I fly to dive so I'd have to bring the plate - as it is my buddy and I just make it under the 50# weight limit as it is.

You might look at the Aqualung ladies models (Soul, Lotus, Pearl), they're cut to to fit you better. Another brand I used to see a lot of in SoFl is Zeagle - they also have several ladies models. (Zena, Marina)

Actually for the kind of warm water diving you seem to be mostly planning, I might look at a travel BC, they're lighter, more minimalist quite a bit less expensive and smaller. Given where you plan to dive, they might be all you need. I dive in your area in a t-shirt/board shorts - maybe a skin for jellies protection.

Aqualung's Zuma or Zeagle's Covert XL are two examples - I believe there's a Ladies Zuma but I think the difference is largely the accent color (pink).
If you do start dive traveling either packs small enough to go in your carry-on,

It's been my experience over 3 decades of diving that packages often are a good deal - for the dive shop to move slower selling inventory.

Also read the fine print on any Limited Lifetime Warrany or Free Parts for Life(Scubapro if you buy their whole package) programs - often labor is not included and that's the bigger cost of service. Also they lock you into service intervals that you likely won't need to adhere to unless you're doing a lot of diving. My regs (Atomic) have a 2 year/300 dive recommended service interval - I push that to double with no ill effect.Once the service tech said the only reason he changed the parts was because it was disassembled on the bench - he gave me my "old" parts back to use the next time.

I didn’t notice your gender. Did you discuss the Women’s package? Same price and items as Essential, except has the Pearl BCD for women instead of the Pro HD. Pearl is hybrid, aspects of both jacket and back inflate. Shaped differently where it hits your hips, and different width to height ratio for body proportions.

I'm male :)

Before you purchase a BCD, if you have the option to do so, which I know won't necessarily be the case, I would recommend you try out a back inflated BCD and/or BP/W before you make a purchase, just so you can at least get a feel for the different types.

I completed my OW/AOW training this past March and did another 2 tank dive in the Keys in May, and after that, I knew I wanted to purchase my own gear. I had a total of 15 dives all with rental jacket style BCD's at this point.

After visiting one local shop and doing tons of research I nearly purchased a travel BCD from Leisure Pro. The one local shop I had gone to also had that same AL package for $1k, but I already had a computer at this point so I didn't want it. Plus I wanted to just do a little more research before making a big purchase. But then I went to one more shop and they had both the Hydros Pro (jacket style back inflate) and a BP/W that they let me test out in a pool session.

To make a long story short, within about 5-10 seconds of using the BP/W setup, I knew that is what I was going to purchase. The minimalist feel of a BP/W is just something that feels so much better underwater than a jacket style BCD. Add to the fact that I don't have to wear any extra lead around my waste like I did with a jacket style, I was completely sold.

About 1.5-2 months later, I had my own BP/W setup that cost me about as much as the jacket style BCD I was looking at, around $400 or so.

I also ended up getting my regulators (Atomic Z2 1st and both 2nd stages) for about 30% the retail price, literally by just asking for a cheaper price.

This past weekend I took my full setup into the pool for the first time and I was in there for 90 minutes and it felt incredible. It also felt like 40 minutes, time flew by. I'm going to be taking it to the ocean for the first time next month and am super excited bout it.

Before you purchase a BCD, if you have the option to do so, which I know won't necessarily be the case, I would recommend you try out a back inflated BCD and/or BP/W before you make a purchase, just so you can at least get a feel for the different types.

Second this rent or borrow all types of BC's before buying one. Many of us myself included bought one because we thought it was good before trying them all then wound up selling it used for half or less than what we paid for it.

You will find a large back plate and wing following here, including me but it might not be best for you or it might. Try before you buy if your most comfortable in a jacket style get it, if you're more comfortable in a back inflate get it or if you prefer a back plate and wing go that route.

Other than that get a cold water reg even if you thing you won't use it that way if you change your mind your covered.

And you seem to already prefer wrist mount gauges.

The idea is to buy once cry once.

After some back and forth and multiple visits to my LDS, I decided to go ahead with the purchase. All together I bought:

AL Axiom BCD
AL Core Regulator
AL ABS Octo
AL i300c 3 Gauge Console (SPG, Compass, and i300c console)
Leonardo Cressi Wrist Computer
Atomic Venom Mask
Mesh Carrying Bag with Regulator Bag

For now I've opted to hold off on a wetsuit, tank, and weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom