Aqua Lung Essentials Package and Potential Upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcilux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My LDS has a pretty good discount on a few sets/bundles of gear and I've been eyeing the Aqua Lung Essentials package. Basically it's the cost of the BCD and computer, and the reg and octo are free. In addition they'll give me a 10% on any additional gear not part of the package if purchased at the same time. As built it includes:

AL Pro HD BCD
AL Titan Reg
AL ABS Octo
AL i300c 2 Gauge Console Computer

I was thinking of upgrading the Titan to a Core, and the Pro HD to an Axiom, but I'm not sure if those are worthwhile upgrades. I'm also iffy on the console computer; I've only used (rented) wrist computers before and I like having quick/instant access to see my depth (I'm still working on/practicing my buoyancy control and a quick glance at my wrist to see how much I rise/sink is great)

The LDS employee I spoke with said the upgrades wouldn't be an issue, but they didn't have anything approved for a console/computer substitution that would still qualify for the Aqua Lung package discount. With that in mind, I was thinking of keeping the i300c console and use it for the BT uploads and getting a cheap used wrist computer as well for the convenience.

Is this a good package, and do my proposed upgrades make sense? Am I overestimating the value of a wrist computer if I have a console computer?

You just answered your own question, in my opinion: a console computer is just not the way you want to go in the future. Transmitters are now extremely reliable, and if you don't want to go that route, a lone SPG on a bolt-snap is much less obtrusive, while you wear your computer on your wrist.
You wanted to upgrade the bcd
You wanted to maybe upgrade the regs (tho' the Titan is superb, IMO).
That's three changes out of the three pieces in the bundle.
I'm going to take a chance and say that 90% of Scubaboarders will recommend that you buy each piece that you like, separately.
Used or new resale regs in excellent condition save you 25-50% right off the bat. Don't even worry about the parts for life programs that some LDS' will try to sell you. I dive two sets of titanium Atomic's that I bought for $400-700 ea. instead of $1500 ea (when counting the octo). Just be careful on eBay. Just needed service.
The only new bcd I ever bought was my first one (because I didn't have ScubaBoard to ask). Since then, I either have pieced together BP/W, or bought last year's model new on eBay. Come to think of it, I bought my first reg new too. And my Scubapro Mark 10/D400 is still going strong! My point is, amortized over the 8-15 years that a bcd should last, and the 20-30 years that regs will easily last, initial cost is a drop in the bucket.

I bought a new computer, tho'.

On the plus side, Aqualung makes very nice stuff.

My 2¢.
Good luck!

Double (maybe even triple) check the package pricing with upgrades.

Aqualung gives shops a great price on 4 specific packages, but has always been adamant that there are no substitutions available at those strongly discounted prices. So any upgrades within the packages should have a net result that is not discounted to the same degree. The MRP dealer agreement also limits the depth of discounting available outside those preset packages.

Double (maybe even triple) check the package pricing with upgrades.

Aqualung gives shops a great price on 4 specific packages, but has always been adamant that there are no substitutions available at those strongly discounted prices. So any upgrades within the packages should have a net result that is not discounted to the same degree. The MRP dealer agreement also limits the depth of discounting available outside those preset packages.

Good point; I'll definitely double check (and make sure I'd be happy with the base items as well in case it isn't possible) The LDS employee recommended the BCD upgrade and said it was just $100 more (the same price difference between the Axiom and the Pro HD MSRP). I hadn't asked about the regulator when I was in shop, and really the only thing that made me consider the upgrade was the ACD available on the Core, and even then I'm not convinced it's worth the price difference, so I wouldn't be hurt if that's not a possible change. He did say the computer could not be substituted in the package though, so I knew there were some things that were set as is.

I haven't priced out used yet, and my original plan was to buy one piece at a time, but when I saw the discounts available on the packages, that seemed like a much better deal. About a 35% discount on the packaged gear, plus 10% discount on additional gear, Aqua Lung's limited lifetime warranty, and interest free finance options for all new gear feels safer/better than going through eBay or the like. Plus having a local seller that I know can service the gear, answer any questions, etc. is an added benefit as well.

Saturday I want to check out a local shop that's a Scubapro authorized seller to see what they have to offer; unfortunately their hours are much shorter than the other shop so I can't go during the week.

Upgrade the ABS (see if they'll do an Apeks Egress for a little more) I've read the breathing on the ABS is disappoint[ng. One nice thing about either is the swivel so it's oriented correctly in an OOA situation - one less thing to deal with. Most Aqualung dealers can/do sell/service Apeks also since they're both owned by the same parent company.

I believe a Core is the 2010's upgrade of a Titan so I'm not sure what you gain with that upgrade.

I personally would not consider either Jacket model BCD you listed but I'm a fan of back-inflate models (Some of the better Aqualung models are) since I find them easier to trim out - and logical since you spend most of your time diving horizontally, it makes sense to have the air on your back and most of your weight in front.

I dive a set of mini-Scubapro gauges abd a Suunto Gekko wrist computer. You'll need some sort of spg on a hose unless you buy a $1000+ Air Integrated wirst computer. I use the Gekko as a quick depth reference and as a safety stop timer. Sometimes (not often as it's on my left wrist) as an ascent rate indicator also)
Is this a good package,
Impossible to say unless you tell us the Price.....

I believe a Core is the 2010's upgrade of a Titan so I'm not sure what you gain with that upgrade.
Core replaced the Titan LX, not the Titan. Balanced 2nd stage with Core, unbalanced with Titan. Also available as Core Supreme for cold water, no such cw version for Titan.

Essential package should be $999, individual MSRP of the components totals to $1,456.

Upgrade the ABS (see if they'll do an Apeks Egress for a little more) I've read the breathing on the ABS is disappoint[ng. One nice thing about either is the swivel so it's oriented correctly in an OOA situation - one less thing to deal with.

I personally would not consider either Jacket model BCD you listed but I'm a fan of back-inflate models (Some of the better Aqualung models are) since I find them easier to trim out - and logical since you spend most of your time diving horizontally, it makes sense to have the air on your back and most of your weight in front.

I dive a set of mini-Scubapro gauges abd a Suunto Gekko wrist computer. You'll need some sort of spg on a hose unless you buy a $1000+ Air Integrated wirst computer. I use the Gekko as a quick depth reference and as a safety stop timer. Sometimes (not often as it's on my left wrist) as an ascent rate indicator also)
Impossible to say unless you tell us the Price.....

The package price is $1,000 for the four pieces listed.

If there's one thing I've learned from perusing these forums it's that BP/W vs Jacket is a debate I don't want to dip my toe into :) I generally avoid politics, religion, emacs vs vim, and now BP/W vs Jacket. My understanding is back-inflate isn't exactly BP/W (or rather, BP/W is a specific subset of back-inflate) but I still assume it's a minefield. All I will say is that all of my rental dives have used jacket style and I haven't felt like anything was off or needed improvement, so for now I feel content to stick with what I know. Shoulders have been a bit uncomfortable towards the end of a 2 tank dive session, which was part of the reason I was intrigued by the Axiom upgrade. Trying both on in the store (granted that's a different experience than actually in the water), the Axiom did feel noticeably more comfortable on the shoulder straps.

I dive an Axiom for all of my local, cold water and training dives. Yes, I really like it. Axiom is one of 4 Aqualung BCDs with the Wrapture system, that carries the weight on your waist instead of your shoulders.

Should ask if you plan to ever dive below 50F, that would mean some other considerations, too.

aqualung should be offering a combo of the apeks atx40/ds4 regs, d30 bpw, and i200c or i300c as a starter package instead.

I dive an Axiom for all of my local, cold water and training dives. Yes, I really like it. Axiom is one of 4 Aqualung BCDs with the Wrapture system, that carries the weight on your waist instead of your shoulders.

Should ask if you plan to ever dive below 50F, that would mean some other considerations, too.

Rarely, if ever, and when I do it will likely be using rental gear (I know the Titan isn't designed for cold water)

Things can always change, but right now, living in the Florida Keys, I'm expecting 95% of my dives to be local, or in the Caribbean/Bahamas. If my husband can get his deviated septum fixed and be able to equalize, he'll get certified and we might do more distant dive trips, but even then I'd probably be more inclined to rent than pack up and travel with a full set of gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom