Aqua-lung Calypso VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading the recall it was about the clamp coming loose for some reason but there are no specifics. My guess is poor threads that pull out or possibly the wrong screw got mated with the wrong threads. If you inspect them there should not be a problem but if you are really concerned, you can replace the screw with a longer one and put locknut on the end of the screw to make sure it does not come out.

IMAG0179.jpgThe last comment date was 04/2008, so I will be surprised if anybody reads this, but would be grateful of a reply.
I am in the exact same situation. I have been using a Calypso VI since the 80's - when I got it used. Never had it serviced. So I take it in casually at the local dive shop, and ask the owner what would it cost to service the 1st stage only. He says he is legally required that there was a recall on all Calypso 1st stages because of the aforementioned air shut down, and refused to do any work on it. I have never had any issue with it, and maybe because it is so rugged, or maybe I am just lucky - I don't know. So I correspond with Aqua-Lung today, who were very helpful BTW, but I have yet to hear ( tomorrow? ) if it is true that the 1st stage was recalled. If it was recalled, I have to decide whether to continue to use it - in the lite that I may not be able to get a parts kit for it anymore. ( I am attached to it ).
Does anybody know if a parts kit can be purchased at this time? From whom?
Any recommendations from anyone, if you were in my shoes, ( never having had any issue with the regulator ) as to continue to trust in it? Or maybe it is really true, as previously mentioned, that the scuba dealer really wants me to buy a new reg. But I can tell you, currently being unemployed, I sure can't afford a new $400 reg set up.
Thanks for your comments ( see attached pic ).

Last edited:
Just my opinion but there is more BS in his story than fact. In any case, service parts for the Calypso regs are no longer available from AL and it's unlikely any dealer will service them due to the lack of factory parts. There are a few service kits to be found but it's unlikely any shop will install them even if you find them. Sorry to have to say it but unless you want to venture into DIY service it's unlikely you can get the reg serviced. The second stage is a differnt matter, you can still find kits for it and even if you can't the parts are so generic that finding substitutes is not a big deal however, you may still have to DIY the service due to LDS policies.

Thank you for the info.
Well, I called Aqua-Lung and talked to them at length. They are the ones that told me ( by picture ) that the 1st stage ( shown above ) is a Calypso VI. More importantly, they said that they had no record of ever having recalled the Calypso VI. So I am feeling that the regulator 1st stage has no defects to worry about, aside from getting that much needed maintenance check.
Aqua-Lung did mention www.vintagescuba.com to get out of date scuba parts from. I'll give them a try next.
Till then .....

Dan at VSS may have something, you may also want to try Bryan at Vintage Double Hose www.vintagedoublehose.com At one time he had a few NOS HP seats for that reg. With the design of that HP seat, you can also flip it over and use the back side. That is a common practice but if it were mine, I would use that as a last resort and save the seat for later use if I could. All the rest of the parts are common orings or to other regs (in the first stage) and the second stage has all common parts that are used on a varity of regs. You will not likely find an "official" service kit but if you can find a HP seat, you can pull together all the rest of the needed parts. Even so, you will most likely have to do the service work yourself unless you personally know a reg tech, most shops are goning to give you the laibility speech. I just looked at my old USD service manual and both the Calypso J and the original Calypso are included so if you need a service manual, you can download one from Bryan at VDH. The is in the manuals and catalog section.

I just dug 2 Calypso 2nd stage regs out of the trash and I googled them and this thread popped up. One looks ****, but the other one doesn't look too bad. Think they are worth taking to a shop?

Attachments

• 16876306297171985743047066883574.jpg
    16876306297171985743047066883574.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 27
I just dug 2 Calypso 2nd stage regs out of the trash and I googled them and this thread popped up. One looks ****, but the other one doesn't look too bad. Think they are worth taking to a shop?
You can still get the required parts to service these, it's only a puck seat which can be flipped, a nyloc nut and one O ring.

Hopefully exhaust valve and main diaphragm are ok, they most likely will be.

Now whether a shop will service them or not is another thing, it's probable you'll get the "these are too old" blah blah blah.

If you can't get them serviced at a shop post back here as we can help you. They are very simple to self service.

If you decide it's all too much bother put them up for sale there's lots of "conshelf" fans here who would be happy to buy them if the price is right.

Good luck and post back here with how you get on.

Instead of taking them to a shop, rebuild the second stages yourself... Super simple bullet proof seconds.

Infact, if the main diaphragm and exhaust valve are still good (most likely are) I can mail you a home punched seats and 014 o-ring... There are easy improv solutions for the only special tool "needed".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom