Aqua Lung Axiom i3 BCD -- Thoughts on i3 Inflator Mechanism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htatton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide on a vest type BCD to buy. I am interested in your thoughts on the special inflate/deflate valve on the Axiom i3

'The i3 Inflator Mechanism has a Single-Touch Control for both Inflation and Deflation. Lift-Up-to-Inflate, Push-Down-to-Deflate, what could be more simple? BC provides a Low-Profile with Flat E-Valves that are very Streamlined-and-Effective. They are also "One-Way" which keeps water out. The Multiple Dump features mean that when you depress the i3 Lever, all of the Flat E-Valves Open at once! No more reaching for the wrong valve. Flat E-Valves can be opened by the i3 Control Handle or Opened Manually. If your one who always wants to conserve your Air Supply the Pull-Down Oral Inflator is Easy-to-Deploy and Stow. It can easily be removed should you need an access port for rinsing the inside of the air cell or should you want to attach an AIRSOURCE.'

Because of a back problem I have trouble staying upright when on the surface so a vest works best for me. I love a wing in the water but I struggle with them on the surface. A vest is much better for me.

Thanks for your advice.

I've owned an Axiom i3 for three years now and have found it to be an excellent BCD. The inflator is intuitive, very easy to access, and actually fun to use. Having all three dump valves open at once is a real plus as you don't have to orient yourself in any particular fashion to vent. The vest is very well constructed, comfortable, and will keep you in a nice relaxed position on the surface. Integrated weight pockets have a simple locking mechanism. Harness is fully adjustable, with an easy to use quick release that is well constructed. Tank stays secure as there is a non-slip bed built in. I've travelled with it, but its not as easy to pack as my bp/w setup as its bulkier.

Now I will say there are divers who will turn their nose up at the system. More complicated, non-traditional, more stuff to go wrong, can't fix in the field. But after 50+ dives in both warm and cold waters, it performs flawlessly, and looks brand new.

My usual dive buddy uses a Dimension with the I3 and loves it. He has several hundred dives on it without a problem, though you'll likely get a lot of people here telling you that it's just another failure point, or a gear solution to a skills problem, I say if you like it just go for it.

The i3 was a fantastic idea for novice divers, because it ensures that the BC will vent from SOMEWHERE, no matter what attitude they have assumed in the water. But the mechanism itself doesn't seem to be very robust, and it's expensive or sometimes impossible to repair. You're paying a high premium for something that may fail on you in a year or two.

I'm not going to argue with your decision for a jacket, but I will say that, if you are having problems balancing at the surface in a wing, that can almost certainly be solved. There are usually a few reasons for it, including a need to redistribute or recalculate weighting, and adjustment of the crotch strap.

The i3 was a fantastic idea for novice divers, because it ensures that the BC will vent from SOMEWHERE, no matter what attitude they have assumed in the water. But the mechanism itself doesn't seem to be very robust, and it's expensive or sometimes impossible to repair. You're paying a high premium for something that may fail on you in a year or two.

:) Lynne was one of the divers who turned her nose up at my i3 when I showed up with it for a dive. And yes, I bought it as a novice diver. I haven't experienced any issues with the system at all. That being said, I do take very good care of my gear. And I certainly can't speak to the overall reliability of the system beyond my own experience, so if there are i3 owners who've had issues, it would be interesting to hear from them.

We didn't like our I3's at ALL. Sold them after only 15 dives on them over 3 years. Bought ScubaPro Go's and use them for local and travel. Not sure how it relates to the Axiom but the Dimension and Pearl BCD's were HEAVY and my Dimension was tippy. My wife didn't like the position of the inflator and on a crowded dive boat would keep going off when it got bumped.

Another note some people are reporting difficulties getting dump valves fixed at a decent price. On our rescue course one diver had a faulty valve and it would have to be sent back to the manufacturer to get fixed, big $$$.

We bought ours as newbies who didn't know better.

I don't think I have ever "turned up my nose" at anybody's gear. Some gear makes diving harder than it needs to be -- the i3 doesn't fall into that category. But I've known a couple of people who have had the wires that activate the valves freeze up, and depending on where the problem lies, sometimes it can't be fixed.

I personally don't like jackets, because I feel encased in them, and I also tend not to like integrated weight systems, for a whole mess of reasons. But those are my personal preferences. I think just about ALL of us don't like failed dive gear, though, and keeping stuff simple tends to minimize the possibilities.

I don't think I have ever "turned up my nose" at anybody's gear. Some gear makes diving harder than it needs to be -- the i3 doesn't fall into that category. But I've known a couple of people who have had the wires that activate the valves freeze up, and depending on where the problem lies, sometimes it can't be fixed.

Sorry Lynne. "Turned her nose up" was overstated on my part. "Less than enthusiastic about my i3" would probably be more accurate. There was expressed concern about providing assistance if the need arose, being that the diver in question (me) was using gear with a non-traditional inflator mechanism. A valid point. So to the OP, if you decide to go the i3 route, make sure your buddy understands how to properly use the inflator. Both its location, and how it functions. You may not be able to effectively demonstrate that in a distress situation.

I started off with an Axiom i3 and I loved it. :D

I started with the Dimension i3 and really love it. I have recently switched to a BP/W due to going with more advanced training where i3 is frowned upon, but no problems with over 150 dives in 3 years. I hate to leave it but have to make the change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom