Aqua Cat Liveaboard + Tiger beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am planning on doing the Aqua Cat liveaboard but I also want to do some land based diving, specifically to Tiger Beach. I know Stuart Cove offers Tiger Beach excursions so I was wondering what would be a good place to stay on land. I would like to the total trip duration to be 2 weeks. One week on Aqua Cat and the rest of the trip somewhere nice where I can dive with Stuart Cove. Any recommendations that are located optimally but also nice?

JK

Cove's doesn't do the Tiger Beach trips any longer. They used to out of Old Bahama Bay resort on Grand Bahama. Which is as far west as you can possibly go and still be on the island. Since most of Grand Bahama is clustered around downtown or Port Lucaya I wouldn't stay out there now.

I don't even think they're on-site there any longer. There's no indication of it at all on their new website.

The only people I'm aware of that are doing that as a day trip now is Reef Oasis Divers twice a week. Bahamas|Tiger Shark Diving|Caribbean Reef Shark Diving|Shark Courses. Notice it's only 2 days/wk. and one is Saturday which might conflict with your return off Aquacat since you'd have to fly over from Nassau.

They're at the Wyndham Viva Fortuna which is the AI on the south side.

You might consider booking Tiger Beach with them, possibly the reerf shark feed/dolphin dives with Unexso and the Theo with Unexso or Grand Bahama Divers. The Wyndham is just s little south of Port Lucaya where you might find more to do non-diving (especially other restaurants etc.) And Grand Bahama keeps their boat in a marina just a little west of the Wyndham - also on the south side.

If you don't mind slightly older, affordable rooms, Bell Channel Inn could be another option. Just a few blocks SE of Unexso plus they have their own diveboat/operation on-site. I get the sense that it's not their primary focus though as I've read hey need a minimum of divers to run a trip.

My point being with some strategic planning you could probably run around via cab if you didn't want to rent a car that mostly sat every day while out diving. Cabs - like everything else there - aren't cheap though - so maybe an economy car is a better solution.

I like to recommend Grand Bahama - Fred has a great reputation. And he runs trips based on exp. level - something you might not get at the Wyndham which I expect might be more guests taking a dive rather than divers. I'm not a big fan of AI's in general though so IDK.

Back
Top Bottom