April - where in SEA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys... am getting a headache planning ahead for the Good Friday weekend and I thought I should just throw it open to the forums. Am looking to test my gear and get more dives into that log book.

Any views on where I should spend a good Thur - Sunday long weekend? I'm departing EX Singapore.

Here are the possibilities with my (mostly negative) comments.

Malaysia:
- Aur/Tioman: Full of Singaporeans. Coral mostly dead. Too little to see for a long weekend.
- Redang/Perhentian: Full of Singaporeans. 12 hour bus ride to/and fro Singapore. Takes too long to get there for the dives.
- Sipadan: too far to get there. Unfavourable flights. Not experienced enough for strong currents and 5,000 ft.

Thailand:
- Phuket: Been there done that, still recovering from the coral scratches. April is hot/dry?
- Khao Lak: Sounds promising, esp with daytrips out to Richelieu. Low season/poor visibility?

Indonesia:
- Manado: Unspoilt, untouched and idyllic. Unfavourable flights (ie leave on Thurs morning return on Sat/Mon morning)
- Bali: Full of Singaporeans and Aussies. Diving not as good as other spots.

Philippines:
- Borocays/Palawan: Unspoilt, untouched and idyllic. Expensive flights.

Well, your main problem is lack of time. If you can get a late flight on Sunday, you can dive 2 days (Friday/Saturday).

April in Phuket or Khao Lak is the same - hot and dry. The 2 are about 100km apart. From Khao Lak easier for a day trip to the Similan Islands. Is anyone doing Richelieu Day trips this season? Not sure, maybe IQ divers. And this is the best time of year for the chance to see a whaleshark...At least its easy to get to Phuket from Singapore and the flights are cheap. The airport is about 60km from Khao Lak or 40km from the main Phuket beaches.

Filipines.

Dont bother with Thailand!

Well, it depends on how many dives you plan to do.

If you heading to Redang or Perhentian, 1 day is for travelling to Merang or Kuala Besut jetty. Then 2 full days in the islands (that's enough for at least 6 dives). Then Sunday you board the bus back to Singapore. Honestly, not too shabby.

Something accessible by land transport is a better option if it is during peak season. Think about expensive airfares, even on low cost carriers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom