April/May - Dive/Motorcycle Trip To Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, maybe Cambodia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akrecdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a month long trip planned (airline tickets have been purchased) at the end of the dry season traveling west to east, to Myanmar, northern Thailand, north-central Laos, and possibly southwestern Cambodia. The Thailand and Laos portions of the trip will include motorcycle touring. I am going to include a 5 to 7 day live aboard somewhere on the trip. I would like to dive the Merguie Archipelago in Myanmar, which would be on the front end of the trip. Or, possibly a 5 day live aboard in southwest/southern Cambodia at the end of the trip. I've been researching the dive portion of my visit for some time now, here and on other websites; and can't quite get a handle on which area would provide the best quality of diving - Myanmar or Cambodia. I haven't really looked at the Similan or Surin Islands, as they seem over-priced and over-crowded. Although the quality of diving seems very good. I'm looking for a remote/unique experience. I've read some reviews that over fishing in the archipelago and in Cambodia; and dynamite fishing in the archipelago, have compromised the quality of diving in both places. I've also heard that locating Cambodian dive operators willing to travel to decent dive sites is difficult. I recognize some of what I've read can be attributed to local dive operation competitiveness. But, sometimes facts are elusive. Has anyone had experience diving in Myanmar or Cambodia in April/May? If so, what are your experiences with dive site quality and/or dive operators. Are there any unsafe dive operations I should avoid. If I dive the archipelago, I'd prefer not to take a long trip out of Phuket. Are there safe, reliable dive operators in southern Myanmar? If so, what would be the costs for a 5 to 7 day live aboard in US dollars, out of Myanmar? This will be a first time trip to southeast Asia. I will be taking my own goggles, regulator compass and computer. I'd like to take my own BC, and might do so if I dive the front end of the trip - then ship everything back to Alaska. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I will appreciate any information anyone has to offer. If you prefer to PM me, please do so. Thanks, ARD :goingdown:

I used to work in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and I can't say that I was impressed by the diving at all... I have also worked in other locations in the Gulf of Thailand and on the west coast of Thailand, and can honestly say that the west is the best...

I do not have any experience of Myanmar, but I hear reports of it beibng in decline. It used to be known as a good place for sharks, but from wht I hear they have pretty much vanished now... I could be wrong though...

I'd look into Similan Islands again... Check out Khao Lak Scuba Adventures... Khao Lak is pretty quiet, and very close to the border with Myanmar...

I went diving the mergui archipelago, I loved it!!! I went with a new company: The Smiling Seahorse, operating a small boat, we were 6 divers only and not another dive boat at sight. Huge nurse sharks, mantas and small weird stuffs like seahorses, pipe fish, frog fish, ghost pipe fish...

I went diving the mergui archipelago, I loved it!!! I went with a new company: The Smiling Seahorse, operating a small boat, we were 6 divers only and not another dive boat at sight. Huge nurse sharks, mantas and small weird stuffs like seahorses, pipe fish, frog fish, ghost pipe fish...

WT, Thanks so much for the current information. Just what I'm looking for. I'm sure others will find your post useful as well. Most of other info I here about Burma is negative - discouraging on a lot of levels. I'll see if I can locate contact information on Smiling Seahorse. Where were they based out of? Did they depart from Myanmar or Thailand? Where was the general location in Myanmar they were diving? Was it close to walls or depths where pelagics would be found? Thanks again. ARD

I used to work in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and I can't say that I was impressed by the diving at all... I have also worked in other locations in the Gulf of Thailand and on the west coast of Thailand, and can honestly say that the west is the best...

I do not have any experience of Myanmar, but I hear reports of it beibng in decline. It used to be known as a good place for sharks, but from wht I hear they have pretty much vanished now... I could be wrong though...

I'd look into Similan Islands again... Check out Khao Lak Scuba Adventures... Khao Lak is pretty quiet, and very close to the border with Myanmar...

Thanks, Bubble. I've heard same and was rethinking Burma. Please see World Tour's post. Definitely sounds worth investigating. I'm new to that hemisphere, and am definitely jazzed about exploring the diving and motorcycle touring there. Side Bar question > are there any operators that are just downright unsafe - beyond nuances we should all be looking out for with some foreign dive operations? Again, PM me if a post would be awkward. Thanks, ARD

You don't say just when in April/May you will be in Thailand. Be advised that the monsoon season will be starting up about then and that sea conditions may be quite rough, and consequently dive boat bookings drop off sharply at that time of the season. Since you want a liveaboard in the Andaman Sea region, you should plan that for as early in your trip as you can to avoid the disappointment of cancellations due to lack of enough passengers to confirm the trip, or even weather-related cancellations.

You don't say just when in April/May you will be in Thailand. Be advised that the monsoon season will be starting up about then and that sea conditions may be quite rough, and consequently dive boat bookings drop off sharply at that time of the season. Since you want a liveaboard in the Andaman Sea region, you should plan that for as early in your trip as you can to avoid the disappointment of cancellations due to lack of enough passengers to confirm the trip, or even weather-related cancellations.

Oops! Mis-spoke. Arriving late evening March 27th and departing April 21st. Would like to dive from March 29th or 30th through April 4th or 5th. Was thinking a couple orientation dives - maybe a day trip or two, then a 3 to 5 day liveaboard???? Thanks, ARD

Oops! Mis-spoke. Arriving late evening March 27th and departing April 21st. Would like to dive from March 29th or 30th through April 4th or 5th. Was thinking a couple orientation dives - maybe a day trip or two, then a 3 to 5 day liveaboard???? Thanks, ARD
That's good about the dates! A couple of dives to get your weighting worked out etc. is a good idea as well. Jumping on a liveaboard won't be a problem during your target dates, either.

Hello ARD,
I hope your trip was fun. Can you tell me about your plans for the motorcycle portion of your trip? I'm thinking of doing something similiar in Thailand but have not started researching it yet.

Thank you,
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom