April 18, 2010 Barnard Castle wreck photos/report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm impressed at the pictures you were able to get in that kind of viz . . . the wreck is clearly identifiable as such!

Swankenstein,

Great pics as usual. Did you just get a new Whites Fusion? How do you like it? You used to dive neoprene drysuits before, right? Last year I tried a Fusion at a demo day in Whytecliff. Great flexibility but the Fusion+MK2 didn't feel warmer than my Brooks 7mm + Polyester fleece. It was comfortable warm nonetheless.

Right now there's a Fusion with a MK3 coming from the island on its way to my home. :D
I just wanted feedback from somebody who's been diving neoprene drysuits for a while.

I'm impressed at the pictures you were able to get in that kind of viz . . . the wreck is clearly identifiable as such!

Usually photographers say that the camera doesn't take the pictures, the photographer does, but in this case I have to say that my lens does 90% of the work. It's an 8mm fisheye, which on my camera (Canon Rebel XT) gives an angle of view of about 170 degrees. The extreme forced perspective make things 2 feet away look like they are 10 feet away. For the picture showing the entire boiler, I was about 6 feet away and the boiler is probably about 10 feet tall. The lens fakes decent visibility without even trying.

Swankenstein,

Great pics as usual. Did you just get a new Whites Fusion? How do you like it? You used to dive neoprene drysuits before, right? Last year I tried a Fusion at a demo day in Whytecliff. Great flexibility but the Fusion+MK2 didn't feel warmer than my Brooks 7mm + Polyester fleece. It was comfortable warm nonetheless.

Right now there's a Fusion with a MK3 coming from the island on its way to my home. :D
I just wanted feedback from somebody who's been diving neoprene drysuits for a while.

I've had that Fusion since October last year. You're right, most of my previous suits have been neoprene. I didn't like the Fusion much at first. It felt very restrictive compared to my old neoprenes. I even had a hard time stretching out my legs without feeling tugging throughout the suit. I also have a hard time reaching my valves compared to my past neoprene suits. This might have to do with the extra thickness of undersuits you have to wear with a shell suit. I also use the MK3. The first time I used it, I thought my suit had flooded, I was so cold. I installed dry gloves and added about 5lbs to allow more air in the suit. Now I'm fine for warmth. My biggest grief with the Fusion (and I'm assuming all shell-type suits) is all the extra weight I have to wear. With my neoprene, I wore 28lbs of lead. With the Fusion and MK3, I have to wear 45lbs of lead. I also found that the suit was much less durable than my old neoprene suits. For local shore diving, this has been an issue. I have the tech skin and it doesn't have kneee pads (the material at the knees is thinner than the rest of the suit). I've had to patch a few holes in the knees of the liner. On the plus side, the suit is much easier to repair than a neoprene suit. As an anti-social diver, I like the front-entry. After months of diving it, I don't really notice the restrictiveness anymore. I think the new Bullet skin is addressing the durability issues.

As an anti-social diver, I like the front-entry.
Skookumchuk was telling me about your technique to do self portraits when solo. Impressive given the nice shots that come out. Is your avatar shot a solo self portrait? Somebody was telling me about using a coat hanger for closing shoulder entry zippers on your own. I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking it'd be a good one to master.

Skookumchuk was telling me about your technique to do self portraits when solo. Impressive given the nice shots that come out. Is your avatar shot was a solo self portrait? Somebody was telling me about using a coat hanger for closing shoulder entry zippers on your own. I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking it'd be a good one to master.

Yes that avatar picture was a self-portrait from my old film days. I never tried the coat hanger, but I used to have a small rope with a bolt-snap on it that I would clip to my rear-entry zipper and attach the other end to my car door/fence railing/tree/etc. and then "roll" my shoulders to pull the zipper open or closed. It was hard on the zipper though.

Back
Top Bottom