Approximately How Often Have You Experienced Buddy Separation?

Approximately how often have you experienced buddy separation?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted about half. It's been a long time since I've done much buddy diving, but I do recall buddies being farther away than I'd like. The old "seeing the fins in front disappear). Maybe not quite as much as half. Some people don't seem to grasp that if viz is 5 feet maybe you should be within touching distance........

Depends on what you mean by "separated". Out of view for 10 seconds, or 30, or 60 or a few minutes? Most dives for 10 seconds would be not uncommon (poor viz, lots of fishlife, large boulders in way). As others have pointed out, it is up to both divers to ensure they are not separated. The person not leading has a particular responsibility to not linger, especially when the plan is to go faster over some sections of the dive (eg the start or finish of a shore dive).
Agree. When DMing OW courses I would tell the students to constantly eye each other--well every 5-10 seconds perhaps. If that happens there aren't many situations that would cause separation. Can be a pain in the neck-literally as well.

if i am not within arms reach i am too far ...

Brings up a point that there is such a thing as being too close to your dive buddy. Separation should ideally provide adequate room for your buddy to turn comfortably without kicking or otherwise making physical contact with you. Swimming too close can introduce a stressor that can reduce the comfort level of the diver, taking your mind off the dive. And if your buddy's constantly kicking you guess what ... it's your fault. Now you're interfering with their ability to maneuver, which can lead to other problems.

As a photographer, I sometimes have to ask my dive buddies to back off a bit ... I want room to maneuver if I should see something I want to take a picture of. Being too close can, in some ways, be nearly as bad as being too far away. Spacing, like most things diving, depends on a number of factors ... but unless visibility limits you to being that close, "arms length" would definitely fit within my definition of too close ... body length would be a more suitable separation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Brings up a point that there is such a thing as being too close to your dive buddy. Separation should ideally provide adequate room for your buddy to turn comfortably without kicking or otherwise making physical contact with you. Swimming too close can introduce a stressor that can reduce the comfort level of the diver, taking your mind off the dive. And if your buddy's constantly kicking you guess what ... it's your fault. Now you're interfering with their ability to maneuver, which can lead to other problems.

As a photographer, I sometimes have to ask my dive buddies to back off a bit ... I want room to maneuver if I should see something I want to take a picture of. Being too close can, in some ways, be nearly as bad as being too far away. Spacing, like most things diving, depends on a number of factors ... but unless visibility limits you to being that close, "arms length" would definitely fit within my definition of too close ... body length would be a more suitable separation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,

I think that depends upon visibility. You being in the Pacific Northwest, if visibility is under five feet, then the buddies should be closer than a body length away. At a body length in five foot visibility, the buddy can disappear in about two seconds. Which way did (s)he go? Guessing wrong then can lead to buddy separation, and an unexpected solo dive.

Since we are in a three-dimensional medium, I suggest that the buddy should be able to reach out to the diver and touch him or her. If there is enough visibility, you can back off from that, but no more than about two strokes away (swimming wise). For photography, ask the buddy to be behind and above, keeping out of the frame and away if maneuvering horizontally. One should lead, and the other should follow.

I'm testing out a new device (to me) which is a convex mirror which goes on your arm or your counsel, which is used to keep the buddy in better view. I'll let you know how it turns out.

SeaRat

I'm testing out a new device (to me) which is a convex mirror which goes on your arm or your counsel, which is used to keep the buddy in better view. I'll let you know how it turns out.

SeaRat
I have a simple plastic mirror on the back of my hand that I used for keeping track of beginners. I have a few dive lights that I loan out to students/beginners, and those are critical in these waters, especially now with the plankton blooms.

when i take new divers out i like to have them i tell them to stay ahead by a quarter body length i explain this as part of our predive plan the reason for this is so i am not twisting my neck and breaking the seal on my dry suit i also tell them i will tap them on shoulder and signal which direction when their is a direction change

I can think of only one time, and vaguely recall a possibly two other times, where I had to surface to locate a separated buddy, and it was due to extremely low viz. The one time the viz was so bad a member of a FD Search and Rescue team who were training in the bay appeared out of the gloom, and started shaking me, until he realized he had the wrong diver. Even 2 feet away, my gf was only a vague shadow, at best.
Separated, as far as not right on top of each other, I do not count because I carry a camera, and dive with other divers who also enjoy photography,and I have also hunted with spears, diving with my brother, and then a buddy was someone you periodically checked back with, but neither of us shadowed the other.

I have a simple plastic mirror on the back of my hand that I used for keeping track of beginners. I have a few dive lights that I loan out to students/beginners, and those are critical in these waters, especially now with the plankton blooms.

Great idea! We offer a similar hand mounted mirror. Our original intent was to allow people to check the red light on their head mounted (or mask mounted) GoPro.

GoPro Status Mirror | MAKO Spearguns

MSM-2T.jpg

For photography, ask the buddy to be behind and above, keeping out of the frame and away if maneuvering horizontally
Behind and above is absolutely and definitely the last position I'd like my buddy to be in. It's the one position where I have the lowest chance of continuously monitoring them. I carry a camera and shoot WA, and I prefer my buddy at my side or slightly below, and slightly - like half a body length or less - behind. Straight behind and a meter or two lower - depending on vis - works, too.

And yes, very close contact has its issues. I've kicked the reg out of my buddy's mouth, and we've had several dives where we were bumping into each other a little too often for fun. I prefer that over losing my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom