Approx 24 hours in Bali - what to do!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will add my two cents. As others have mentioned, Ubud traffic is to be avoided and the town is totally overpopulated by tourists. Wingy as usual is correct - leave Ubud at 2pm. I have one suggestion for a nice place for lunch, called Indus, with a beautiful view of the rice subaks and the Tjampuhan River. Its off the main road.

For a hotel in Ubud, I can easily recommend Murni’s bungalows, Murni's in Bali - Houses, Spa, Shops and Restaurant The accommodations are much nicer than their website design. Murni, the owner is a long time Ubud resident. She remembers Ubud when there was only a dirt road and a generator for power. In addition, she owns a very nice store for local fabrics. They are expensive, but the real thing and locally made. I hope this makes your Ubud experience much more joyful.

Mozaic in Ubud, is a very nice restaurant with beautifully prepared food with prices to match. The owners also have a wonderful restaurant called Mozaic Beach Club in Seminyak. You can even rent a pool towel and have access to the swimming pool and wifi. I had two hours to burn before my flight back to Singapore, so we had a leisurely lunch on the terrace with wine, got wet, and worked a bit before the short drive to DPS.

Hi Crowley - we briefly met at 2fish . My wife and I visited Nusa Lembongan a few years ago during CNY. Joanne make the first Mola2 sighting that season. It was actually a twofer. cheers, charlie

---------- Post added June 25th, 2015 at 07:29 PM ----------

Similar situation, but I'm planning on a few days post cruise in Bali. Is more diving a little nuts after a 10d/11n Arenui Komodo cruise?

Should we overnight in Lubanbajo? Was planning on overnighting near the airport in Jakarta, leaving for lbj in the morning. CGK is easier to get to on points vs DPS.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

Post Komodo visit to Bali sounds like a good way to chill and dry out gear. You can dive 2x in the morning and just relax in the afternoon.

In my experience the hotels near the Jakarta airport are not pleasant and the drive can be stressful due the congested streets and bad traffic. FYI, in Jakarta, you will have to change terminals from the international terminal to the domestic terminal (with your luggage). Ngurah Rai airport in Bali is way easier to navigate and you can easily find a decent room before your short flight to LBJ. Given a choice between Jakarta and LBJ, I would try to spend the night in LBJ. There are even decent new hotels in Labuan Bajo.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlier, checking out your recommendations now! :)

I will add my two cents. As others have mentioned, Ubud traffic is to be avoided and the town is totally overpopulated by tourists. Wingy as usual is correct - leave Ubud at 2pm. I have one suggestion for a nice place for lunch, called Indus, with a beautiful view of the rice subaks and the Tjampuhan River. Its off the main road.

For a hotel in Ubud, I can easily recommend Murni’s bungalows, Murni's in Bali - Houses, Spa, Shops and Restaurant The accommodations are much nicer than their website design. Murni, the owner is a long time Ubud resident. She remembers Ubud when there was only a dirt road and a generator for power. In addition, she owns a very nice store for local fabrics. They are expensive, but the real thing and locally made. I hope this makes your Ubud experience much more joyful.

Mozaic in Ubud, is a very nice restaurant with beautifully prepared food with prices to match. The owners also have a wonderful restaurant called Mozaic Beach Club in Seminyak. You can even rent a pool towel and have access to the swimming pool and wifi. I had two hours to burn before my flight back to Singapore, so we had a leisurely lunch on the terrace with wine, got wet, and worked a bit before the short drive to DPS.

Hi Crowley - we briefly met at 2fish . My wife and I visited Nusa Lembongan a few years ago during CNY. Joanne make the first Mola2 sighting that season. It was actually a twofer. cheers, charlie

---------- Post added June 25th, 2015 at 07:29 PM ----------

Post Komodo visit to Bali sounds like a good way to chill and dry out gear. You can dive 2x in the morning and just relax in the afternoon.

In my experience the hotels near the Jakarta airport are not pleasant and the drive can be stressful due the congested streets and bad traffic. FYI, in Jakarta, you will have to change terminals from the international terminal to the domestic terminal (with your luggage). Ngurah Rai airport in Bali is way easier to navigate and you can easily find a decent room before your short flight to LBJ. Given a choice between Jakarta and LBJ, I would try to spend the night in LBJ. There are even decent new hotels in Labuan Bajo.

Cmneus you should change your return flight ticket to a later date. :biggrin3:

Chilly, that would be awesome and i definitely would but I am using every single vacation day that I have this year for this trip and I decided that I was going to focus on Komodo and save Bali for another time. My employer might be a little unhappy if I just call in sick and stay a few extra days! Since I do have a day in Bali on the way home though I don't want to waste it. I mentioned earlier that on our last trip the day before the return flight and the day of the flight were wasted because my sig other was too afraid to leave the immediate area of the airport. Well, I'm not going to waste away 24 hours in Bali....that's for sure!
Cmneus you should change your return flight ticket to a later date. :biggrin3:

---------- Post added June 25th, 2015 at 11:06 PM ----------

Yup Mikeycanuk, there seems to be a decent choice of nice hotels in Labuan Bajo. We are booked into Bayview Gardens http://www.bayview-gardens.com/ for a few days of land based diving before our two 4 day liveaboards. Now, I have not been there yet but looks like a decent place, if you decide to go that route.

Well hello again Charlier! :D

Can't give any more advice really - just a short tale about the Monkey forest... which is clearly inhabited by more intelligent residents than most of the known world! I was thinking I might have a wander round but as I passed by at the bottom of the hill I just saw a whole party of school kids come out and pretty much every single one of them was crying! So I'll pass on that!

Every single place I ate at was worth it. There was one place - I think it's called Smile Bar - which I would avoid, however. Took one look at the prices and the clientele and passed on by...!

Have fun! :D

Well hello again Charlier! :D

Can't give any more advice really - just a short tale about the Monkey forest... which is clearly inhabited by more intelligent residents than most of the known world! I was thinking I might have a wander round but as I passed by at the bottom of the hill I just saw a whole party of school kids come out and pretty much every single one of them was crying! So I'll pass on that!

Every single place I ate at was worth it. There was one place - I think it's called Smile Bar - which I would avoid, however. Took one look at the prices and the clientele and passed on by...!

Have fun! :D
Thanks Crowley! I detest monkeys and hope to avoid the monkey forest but my sig other found out about it and, unfortunately he is more interested in that than all the diving we will be doing in Komodo......ugh......
Since the entire trip was planned by me I probably should let him have this one thing, as much as I wish to avoid it like the plague. [emoji30] [emoji31] [emoji13] Sigh.....that is why solo travel is preferable.
Will avoid that restaurant, thanks for the tip. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

So sorry cmneus. Monkey forest was horrible especially when a big monkey decided to take up residence underneath myskirt. Don't wear a skirt. Don't buy the food. Don't carry anything loose if you can avoid it.

So sorry cmneus. Monkey forest was horrible especially when a big monkey decided to take up residence underneath myskirt. Don't wear a skirt. Don't buy the food. Don't carry anything loose if you can avoid it.

bring a stick
don't use sun glass, they like it

Oh Chilly and Wisnu!!!!!!!!! That sounds horrible! I was trying to find videos of people getting bitten by the little devils to show to him but unfortunately that only made him more interested. He thinks they won't bite US.
Uh huh. Thanks for the tips guys!!!!!!!
I should have just had him take off and see the dragons and monkeys while I dove...sigh....I have to miss a dive because of those darn Komodo lizards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom