Appropriate No of Logged dives to become a DM/instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP ... even if I had never heard of ScubaBoard, based on what I've seen in the water I'd have the perception that DM training standards permit inexperienced/incompetent divers to be certified at the professional level. This would be (generally speaking) independent of which training agency they were certified by.

I've seen way too many arm-waving, silt-kicking, generally clueless DM's out there to believe otherwise ... several of them are people I know personally, like, and still believe that they have no business representing themselves as dive pros.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

even if I had never heard of ScubaBoard, based on what I've seen in the water...

I'd echo that. I had a firm grasp on the realities of the dive industry long before I joined Scubaboard or participated in online forums. What's being said on here echos the same sentiments I heard instructors discussing back in the '90s. Things got worse since then too...

This topic pops up from time to time, and often ends with no resolution. In this case, though it has produced some interesting comment. John has outlined the structure of the issue from an educational perspective, and Andy has taken time to thoughtfully comment on the issue from that perspective. While I appreciate, and don't necessarily disagree with, the sentiment of many of his comments, I will take exception to three of them.
DevonDiver:
Community perception that the DM training standards permits inexperienced/incompetent divers to be certified at professional level. Professional level divers may have less experience than the customers they are supervising.
The comment starts with acknowledgement that the issue is perception (which may have nothing to do with reality, notwithstanding some tired clichés to the contrary). Yes, in some cases some professional level divers may have less experience than some consumers. I don’t see any value in requiring that a DM on a boat have ‘more experience’ than all consumers who may get on that boat, nor does that 'less experience' mean that s/he is not competent.

My concern is that perceptions are subjective, and may have no validity in fact. For centuries various people were perceived as being intellectually and/or physically inferior simply because of gender, race, region of origin, religion, etc. Most of those perceptions have subsequently been debunked. But, there definitely was a ‘community perception’. So, I don’t necessarily trust ‘community perception’.
DevonDiver:
This serves to degrade public perception of the Divemaster qualification and the agency that produces them. It also jeopardizes diver safety.
Perceptions aside, the discussion arrives at an issue that may have substance – diver safety. Unfortunately, the discussion then derails – not only is it an issue of perception, there is apparently no means available to measure / quantify / document the assertion that diver safety is somehow compromised. There doesn’t appear to be any volume of even anecdotal evidence. If diver safety is being compromised by inadequate performance of dive professionals, and this inadequacy can be traced to inadequate training, and this inadequate training somehow relates to inadequate required levels of experience (this thread did, after all start with a question about DM experience, reflected in the number of logged dives required for program entry and program exit), then there may be a basis for changing the experience requirement. But, I have concerns regarding the implied assertion that required experience levels jeopardize diver safety. 1) The available, objective data simply do not demonstrate any issue of diver safety, associated with inadequacy of DM performance, based on inadequacy of experience requirements; and 2) the reaction, which appears to be, ‘We’ll just assert that the safety problem cannot be documented by statistics, but nonetheless go forth with the assumption that it exists, even though there is no evidence to support that assumption’, seems incompatible with logic.
DevonDiver:
Where the QA process fails (or even attempts) to ensure DM training and post-graduate conduct matches the standards and corporate goals/mission of the agency - consumers recognize a disconnect between what is promised and what is delivered. This disconnect causes consumer dissatisfaction.
Andy, you mentioned a failure of QA in another recent thread, so I sense that this is a particular concern for you. Can you be a bit more specific on how you perceive that ‘the QA process fails (or even attempts) to ensure DM training . . . matches the standards and corporate goals/mission of the agency’? In teaching a DM class, I am provided with clear, written, agency standards to which I am expected to adhere (and recommendations on how to adhere to them). I am confident that every one of my certified DMs will get a QA survey from the agency. I don’t know what more the agency should do, by way of QA of the training. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point of the statement, though.

The issue I have with the post-graduate conduct piece – admittedly based on MY PERCEPTION – is that the majority of consumers I encounter, on boats, in classes, in quarries, during dive trips, etc., don’t have an expectation of what is promised, and don’t see any disconnect, and certainly don’t hold any particular agency accountable (in fact, the agency is generally a non-issue, even a non-entity, for the majority of consumers). They are more likely to hold an individual DM or instructor responsible for being a shmuck, they are more likely to hold an individual charter outfit responsible for being a poor operator, they are more likely to hold a LDS responsible for poor training, or inadequately managed charters or trips.

Having made these comments, I also I think the DM training program, at least the one that I teach, can always be improved. The PADI program, as one example, is clearly designed to emphasize the role of the DM in supporting TEACHING. Other programs may emphasize other aspects – one DM program in our area, affiliated with a different agency, emphasizes boat operations (possibly because the shop offering the DM program emphasizes dive charters more than teaching in their business). We recognized several years ago that our DMCs would benefit from more boat experience and now offer an optional boat operations charter experience as part of the program. But, I won’t say that this must be required or else the program be somehow perceived as inadequate. I include several additional skills as part of DMC training that I PERCEIVE will help the DMCs become more confident, and capable. I may be wrong, and others may have different perceptions. Yes, I also see supposed dive 'professionals' whose primary skill seems to be silt-kicking, whose judgement is suspect, who make me shudder when I hear them on land / boat boasting of their skills. But, I also see physicians who I consider incompetent, attorneys who I consider unethical, and airline pilots who have much less experience than I do, in total logged hours. I avoid being treated (at least, more than once) by the incompetent health professionals, I avoid dealing with the unethical attorneys, and I don't mind being a passenger on a plane flown by a younger (younger than some of my children), less experienced pilot. Even though I not only walk on water, but I also walk on clouds, they are the pilot-in-command of the aircraft, and I am not. :)

Going back to the OP’s initial question, about the adequacy of experience requirements, there have been a number of ‘interesting’ responses:
drbill:
Personally, I think the 60 dive minimum is a joke.
James R:
I think it should be double the current minimum.
100days-a-year:
1000 dives for instructor, 200 for DM as well as show proficiency in every aspect of diving they will be teaching.
ermaclob:
I simply think its a matter of bumping standards up a bit and keeping to them
In all of these responses, there is a common theme, which necessarily leads to a common question – what is the specific basis for the particular recommendation? Why double the number, why 200 for DM, why ‘bump them up’? And, what does ‘a bit’ mean, for that matter? I think RJP applied the optimal term:
RJP:
In short, my 150 dives in two years is no more an arbitrarily insufficient number of dives than your 300yr for five years is an arbitrarily sufficient number of dives.
This really captures the discussion – the numbers being criticized, or recommended are essentially arbitrary. There is no basis in data, or even reason, for a particular number.

So, in response to the OP, I cannot say whether 60 or 100 dives is enough.
Diving Duibai:
I’m at 100 dives, I dive warm waters but in challenging conditions. However I don’t feel that I have enough experience to be either a DM or an Instructor at 100 dives I’m still learning….
However, you have answered your own question. You don’t think you have enough experience, so 100 dives is not enough, FOR YOU. It may be for others. But, whatever that number may be, for you, for me, for others, it should not be a terminal number.
hroark2112:
I don't care how many dives you have, there's always something new to learn.
VERY true!

Last edited:
You start with a basic card certifying you in the type of environment where the majority of your dives are completed as well as the general area or your cert. All should be in the sea not in a quarry. Thus if you qualify at an LDS in the Pacific Northwest and want to go to the Maldives for instance then you need, a further cert for warm water. From the Maldives to say Mexico, then you need and area cert to qualify you for the local conditions and environment.

What if your local conditions and environment ARE in a quarry? Then to certify for that area/region shouldn't all the dives be in a quarry, not the sea?

Diving with beautiful visibility and warm temperatures won't prepare you for 55-60 degrees and less than 5 feet of visibility.

Guess I'm just confused how you want people to be certified for a general area- while excluding a whole area; anyone landlocked. Or should people in areas with no access to oceans stop diving locally?

---------- Post added December 30th, 2013 at 10:57 AM ----------

From OW to AOW then perhaps there should be a 6 month or 30 dive period (which ever is the longest) prior to begin able to take the qualification

From AOW to Rescue perhaps a further 50 dives or 1 year - which ever is the longest
I don't understand these "whichever is longest" with the time limits. If I do 30 dives in 2 months, why would you deny access to further training? Nothing says I have to continue diving in the next 4 months. I mean, I might just be twiddling my thumbs for 4 months thinking "hmm, sure wish I could do AOW before my trip to Cozumel, oh well, don't really want to dive in the cold quarry anymore, no reason to keep practicing". Why let skills just stagnate because the appropriate amount of time hasn't passed?

For Rescue- you are saying at minimum you have to wait 1 year and 6 months to take a rescue course? Again, you are preventing people from getting training. Part of the rescue class is that you learn to be safer yourself- why would you want to put barriers up to people?

If you want to set a minimum number of dives, okay- but time limits and going with "whichever is longer" makes no sense to me. If people are ready for the training by the number set, let them take the training. (I really don't see time as useful at all. I mean to say 30 dives or 1 year, well that 1 year might represent 5 dives, so what's the point of that? The number of dives makes more sense, if you want a barrier at all.) Or else, you have a diver waiting a year after AOW, maybe racking up a huge number of dives reinforcing self-taught habits which are often bad habits; because they were denied access to training.

IMO, there needs to be a "self-rescue" and a "rescue others" course. My dive shop still requires AOW before rescue (PADI technically does not). I won't take it because I will not do a deep dive. That means I can't take rescue- as a nervous diver (one of the reasons I won't do a deep dive- I have issues) I think I would benefit HIGHLY from a rescue course because it would teach me to be a safer dive. But I am restricted from it. (What I really need to do is just find an instructor to work with and ignore the card that won't come at the end.)

Nitro should IMHO be part of either OW or AOW not a separate cert although I appreciate you can take it as an AOW skill.
I think separate cert is fine. It is just an added expense. Not everyone wants or needs Nitrox. Having it separate saves money for those who don't want it. It doesn't even require dives to get the cert, so it can be done easily as soon as you finish OW.

I know this thread is about becoming a DM, and I really don't have much to say about that, but since OW was brought up...

What if your local conditions and environment ARE in a quarry? Then to certify for that area/region shouldn't all the dives be in a quarry, not the sea?

Diving with beautiful visibility and warm temperatures won't prepare you for 55-60 degrees and less than 5 feet of visibility.

Guess I'm just confused how you want people to be certified for a general area- while excluding a whole area; anyone landlocked. Or should people in areas with no access to oceans stop diving locally?

I believe Dubai Diver is referring to DMs not the general diving population.

e.g. A DM who has only dived in quarries can only apply that qualification for that environment and would need further training for applying DM in say Pacific NW, Red Sea or Cozumel

e.g. A DM who has only dived in quarries can only apply that qualification for that environment and would need further training for applying DM in say Pacific NW, Red Sea or Cozumel
Dubai Diver said all the dives should be in the sea, and specifically said NOT a quarry. It eliminates an entire diving scenario. There appeared to be no option is his post for the DM who wants to work in the quarry.

It's actually a fairly tough job for DMs in quarries, I would imagine certainly more stressful then in areas where is decent visibility. We had a DM per two buddy pairs (plus 2 instructors for the class) when I did OW because the vis was so bad, and the instructors DID lose us- so thank goodness for the DMs. Quarry diving is not less real than ocean diving, and IMO- "intro" quarry diving is a lot more difficult than "intro" ocean diving.

And the other way around also.

As mentioned in post #59, such a system exists. It is not enforced as mandatory however, beyond adherence to agency professional membership requirements. Also, the training need not be a formal qualification.

Formal would be a DM 'regional update'... something that doesn't exist. The nearest would be a 'Discover Local Diving'. Informal would be mentoring at the new location (an in-house employee orientation, or something like that) or just diving in the local environment to gain the necessary experience and learn relevant local protocols and practices etc...

- What is the real issue behind this thread? Mostly about highly experienced divers who like to emphasise their skills by disparaging the skills / standards / beliefs of others. Same as the previous threads on the same subject.

I disagree with you here.
It isn't about disparaging the skills of others at all.

The prerequisites for the DM course are OW, AOW, along with Rescue. OW consists of 5 confined water dives, and 4 OW dives, Advanced consists of 5 guided/"experience" dives, and Rescue consists of multiple scenarios combined over two days of diving.

That minimum of 60 dive, actually represents 44 dives.

It simply isn't enough in the opinion of many, myself included. Who actually says to themselves that they should be guiding, or supervising other divers when they only have 44 actual dives??

Not many.....most are very likely "sold" the idea.

This is all a moot point anyway.....it isn't really going to change. We are all kidding ourselves if we think PADI or any other agency is going to make their standards more stringent. They have a successful business model facilitating the exact opposite.

High standard training is not what they provide.

They also know what they are doing. They DO have the biggest market share, which is providing training, in bite sized chunks to a customer base that can fit those bite sized chunks of training into their vacation schedules and budgets.

Does it sometimes mean a lowering of standards?....I think it does.
But it also fits what most divers are looking for to fit into their normal 2 weeks, or less vacation periods.

As RJP mentioned previously......us here on SB are a small segment.....a very tiny blip, on a big radar screen.

The typical diver is going to find everything they need in terms of training at their local dive shop. Most are going to take Nitrox, and perhaps AOW after their initial certification.

It's really only us Dive Nerds of the forums that really care about all of this other stuff.

I take a lot of people diving after they get certified. I just load up my van with rental gear, and personal gear, and take people to some of our local sites......most of them do not care at all, about PADI standards, or anything else. They just want to go dive, and check out something cool underwater.

SB represents a bubble.......filled with Dive Nerds. I am one. :wink:

All that being said....someone that is interested in becoming a DM....is supposed to be beyond the typical diver....and in my opinion, they should have more than 44 non-guided dives under their weight belt.

Respectfully,
Mitchell

All that being said....someone that is interested in becoming a DM....is supposed to be beyond the typical diver....and in my opinion, they should have more than 44 non-guided dives under their weight belt.

Would you continue to hold that opinion if you were a dive operator looking for employees? I bet you would, and I suspect you would not let anyone force you to hire an inadequately prepared DM to work for you. Apparently where Andy lives, the shops routinely hire incompetent and barely trained DMs who never get better, no matter how long they are on the job, but that has not been my experience. I guess it is a good warning about diving in the Philippines.

Where I work, we routinely tell our DM candidates that they can get a job locally assisting classes, but if they want to actually lead dives in resort areas, they are going to have to pile on the experience and make themselves worthy of hire in a very competitive market. When I first got my DM many years ago, I was considering moving somewhere where there is diving and doing it as a part time retirement job. I talked about it with a DM I was friendly with while on a dive trip in Key largo. He told me there was no real hope that I would get hired unless I was also an instructor. People who are just DMs pretty much do grunt work at almost no pay, and there's a whole pile of them wanting to do it.

Here are some other personal observations over the years of this sort of thing:

1. I was diving with an operator in Hawai'i, and I was assigned to a group in which every member had several hundred dives. I learned this because one of the members of our group explained it. He was a part time DM for the dive op, and he was joining the group to help break in a new DM. It seemed that when the shop hired new DMs, they put them through a training period in which they work only with highly experienced groups until they really got to know the areas and were observed to be ready to do real dive leading.

2. I was on a liveaboard in Truk Lagoon, and one of the dive guides was new. The entire week he was just getting the feel for the wrecks--another training period. He had served several years on a liveaboard in the Caribbean before being experienced and skilled enough to be able to land the coveted Truk Lagoon job.

3. I was on a liveaboard in Thailand, and they had another trainee. He, too, was working his way slowly up to the level where he could be given full DM responsibility.

4. One day in Cozumel a few years ago, I had a dive day in which the DM was clearly not up to the usual standards associated with that place. I complained about it. The operator apologized and said that they had been forced to call in a substitute at the last minute, a DM from a pool of freelance DMs that hang out on the island, waiting to get such calls, hoping that in time they will get enough skill and experience to be hired by an operator for a regular job.

5. There is a thread in the Cozumel forum that just wrapped up a little while ago about a dive operator that has a number of operations in a number of dive locations. They apparently send their newer DMs to their Cozumel location to train until they are ready for regular work.

If you are regularly diving with operators that put brand new, inadequately trained DMs in important roles involving diver safety, then I suggest you do a better job scouting out operators before you book a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom