Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[Apple] barely made the original UW into a dive watch - its depth limited to 40m. Squarely targeted at the casual, occasional recreational diver who probably doesn't want to buy a dedicated DC
Well, it’s not *that* bad. AWU is actually waterproof to 100m/330'. Between 130' and 330', computer readings are halted, but when you ascend back to 130', it resumes in a gauge mode. So it still has some utility as a backup in deep dives.

Computers are so ubiquitous these days- rec divers are buying them, and the AWU works fine for that. It actually has a 4 meter grace range, so as long as you don’t go below 44m/144’, you retain access to dive computer functions above 40m. 144’ probably covers 90%+ of all divers, all the time. Plus cell phone + GPS + siren…

Well, it’s not *that* bad. AWU is actually waterproof to 100m/330'. Between 130' and 330', computer readings are halted, but when you ascend back to 130', it resumes in a gauge mode. So it still has some utility as a backup in deep dives.

Computers are so ubiquitous these days- rec divers are buying them, and the AWU works fine for that. It actually has a 4 meter grace range, so as long as you don’t go below 44m/144’, you retain access to dive computer functions above 40m. 144’ probably covers 90%+ of all divers, all the time. Plus cell phone + GPS + siren…
People who are doing deep and long trimix dives will definitely not think "maybe I should get an apple watch as a backup computer, after all it will still work in gauge mode".

People who are doing deep and long trimix dives will definitely not think "maybe I should get an apple watch as a backup computer, after all it will still work in gauge mode".

Note: what I actually said was just that it has – "some utility" – as a backup. Naturally, you need more than just "some" utility for a true, functional backup– you need *everything* that matters to you. Still, an additional source for gauge mode readouts does no harm.

And- no one competent to do "deep and long trimix dives" has any illusions about the AWU's real use cases.

I think they added dive functionality primarily to get a small amount of "XTREME SPORTS!!!" credibility. It helps with marketing and might not have cost them much if anything in added BOM cost. Going that added distance to add air would not further that cause at all though. And as others have said, as buggy as the Oceanic software is now, I think divers who care about integrated air are actually less likely to go AWU then weekend warrior types, even if the integration capability existed. Just yesterday my AWU went into snorkeling mode instead of scuba mode, for no apparent reason. Today it worked fine.

I think they added dive functionality primarily to get a small amount of "XTREME SPORTS!!!" credibility.

At the same time, everything I've read so far indicates that AWU is on par with other entry-level dive computers for function & reliability. In terms of unit sales, it's already the most popular dive computer in the world, so it will continue to get very close scrutiny.

At the same time, everything I've read so far indicates that AWU is on par with other entry-level dive computers for function & reliability. In terms of unit sales, it's already the most popular dive computer in the world, so it will continue to get very close scrutiny.

There are plenty of entry level dive computers that are extremely reliable. With stories like what @Rick Brant just shared as an example, I'm curious what data you have read that indicates the AWU is "on par" with other entry level computers for reliability.

Also, a computer might be classified as "entry level", but I don't think that says ANYTHING about its reliability. New divers with their first computer need reliability just as much as anyone else.

For that matter, a computer that stops giving me my dive data if I go below 40m (or 40-ish) is one I label "100% unreliable". Regardless of whether that is intentional or not. If it is "reliable", that means it gives me my dive data at all times.

Also, counting sales to people who will never dive with it does not count (to ME) as making it the most popular dive computer in the world. What computer is actually used for diving by the most people is what I would count as the most popular dive computer.

Lastly, I personally would never take an AWU on a dive as a backup. My backup needs to reliably report my dive data at all times, in case my primary dies. That means the AWU has zero utility (to ME - or any other tech diver, really) as a backup.

I'm curious what data you have read that indicates the AWU is "on par" with other entry level computers for reliability.
Maybe…every single review I've ever read- not mentioning basic reliability as an issue?

With stories like what @Rick Brant just shared as an example
We don't have enough info at this point to evaluate that. And by comparison- what are the odds you're going to notice a one-off report about some entry-level Cressi? The AWU gets much closer interest/scrutiny because of its high profile & recent release.

For that matter, a computer that stops giving me my dive data if I go below 40m (or 40-ish) is one I label "100% unreliable".
So, for you…

"Doesn't have the features I want" = "100% unreliable"

Interesting take.

…counting sales to people who will never dive with it does not count (to ME) as making it the most popular dive computer in the world.
Even counting just people actually using dive features, I'm guessing AWU is already closing in on the #1 slot- compared to other individual *models* (as opposed to other *brands*). Within a couple years, Apple will probably also be the most popular dive computer brand.

Remember- Apple sold over 50 million watches just in 2022, and hundreds of millions overall. Apple is the most popular *watch* brand in the world. Also- the most popular *camera* brand in the world.

Very few people saw those things coming.

That means the AWU has zero utility (to ME - or any other tech diver, really) as a backup.
If you're judging the AWU as formal backup for tech divers- you already missed the point.

AWU is my primary computer at this point. I don't do any deco diving though and am mostly in shallow areas. Having a simple log book is the main feature I like. I hope it gets less buggy but I'm not sure that will ever happen. It's also nice having text and phone available if needed, and GPS location (on surface) is nice if not particularly accurate.

Oceanic have already confirmed AI is on their product roadmap for their Apple Dive Computer using the housing. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility they will bring it to the AWU.

Oceanic have already confirmed AI is on their product roadmap for their Apple Dive Computer using the housing. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility they will bring it to the AWU.

Oceanic manufactures that housing/computer, so they can add any hardware features they want, at any time. For the Apple Watch Ultra, they'd need Apple to change manufacturing & add components to millions of AWUs for a tiny niche (from their perspective). As I said earlier in the thread, I think the chances are zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom