Apple Cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What they are doing is giving it away or selling it cheap. It works in some cases, I know this from experience as my daughter ended up with a droid phone because it was a give away. There is more than one way to capture market share.:wink:

Now then, what are these marvelous wonderful things that makes the droid such a superior product. I have yet to hear any specifics.:D Does it turn into a plane to take to to an island and then turn into an island? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

You should have rephrased that last part as: "Some of the anti-Apple arguments focus on things that Apple fanboys don't want to care about." That would be much more accurate. Apple fanboys simply dismiss the technological advances that the Android platform has made, because well, they're missing out. Sour grapes and all. These are not minor technical details we're talking about. Sure, for some people any modern smartphone is good enough, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows, doesn't matter, they all do the job for them. But some people want more. Android provides additional, new, cutting-edge features, iOS does not.

So, I'm still waiting for a list of Android exclusive features that any of you guys posting are using that you think would appeal to most, or even a large minority, of mainstream smart phone users.

Which is why nobody here is arguing iPhone vs Samsung phones, but rather iOS devices vs Android devices. What's so special about Samsung?

I chose Samsung because they're a strong, big brand name maker with consistently good reviews and positive regard for their Android devices, from what I understand.

If you don't pick a brand, at least, then saying 'Android devices' is too vague and broad. Are we talking about the very cheap Android tablet I might find at Big Lots? Probably not.

And from what I understand, Android appears on a lot of lower end equipment, not just the high end stuff that makes Samsung famous. It would be interesting to see a market share comparison if you limit the entrants to products that, at least from a hardware perspective, are nearly as good, as good or 'better' than what the current & one generation past iPhone and iPad offer.

Apple doesn't aim for the low end market.

Richard.

P.S.: I want to again ask, what are you guys actualy doing on Android that can't be done on iOS?

What they are doing is giving it away or selling it cheap. It works in some cases, I know this from experience as my daughter ended up with a droid phone because it was a give away. There is more than one way to capture market share.:wink:

Now then, what are these marvelous wonderful things that makes the droid such a superior product. I have yet to hear any specifics.:D Does it turn into a plane to take to to an island and then turn into an island? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

My S5 cost me $600 out of my pocket, my S3 cost me just under $500 out of my pocket. The S3 was out for just over a year when I bought it, the S5 was out for more than 6 months when I upgraded to it.

. . . right up till they shut the lights off after google eventually buys them . . .

Well there you go again Mike. . .

Fact and fantasy mix equally well for you.

Market Cap:
AAPL 584.8B
GOOG 346.7B

But of course you don't believe in efficient markets.

Well there you go again Mike. . .

Fact and fantasy mix equally well for you.

Market Cap:
AAPL 584.8B
GOOG 346.7B

But of course you don't believe in efficient markets.

Market cap is based on stock valuation.

In 2012 apple had a market cap of 630 billion. Now it's 584 billion. By your math basing everything on a stock price, I guess it would be safe to assume that apples on its way to bankrupty? That's not the case, as market cap only reflects the companies stock price during a selected period in time and nothing more.

So, does it turn into an airplane and fly you to an island, and then turn into an island?:D

Seriously, my daughters phone is a galaxy whatever, she got it free as an upgrade for extending her service plan. Sounds like you got screwed.:D

Just kidding. I really don't care what you use for a phone, poking the bear is kind of fun though. I tried a droid phone and hated it, I returned it after 24 hours. My old iPod was my first apple product since I bought an Apple 2C so many years ago. I now have 2 iphones, iPod, iPad and a macbook air for personal use. I am still using the windows based stuff at work. Both have advantages my loyalty to the products is strictly due to the ease of use and the way they all connect and work together. Otherwise it is whatever blows your dress up.

My S5 cost me $600 out of my pocket, my S3 cost me just under $500 out of my pocket. The S3 was out for just over a year when I bought it, the S5 was out for more than 6 months when I upgraded to it.

Market cap is based on stock valuation.

In 2012 apple had a market cap of 630 billion. Now it's 584 billion. By your math basing everything on a stock price, I guess it would be safe to assume that apples on its way to bankrupty? That's not the case, as market cap only reflects the companies stock price during a selected period in time and nothing more.

Mike,

You clearly need to take an economics class (maybe again). Stock price/Market Capitalization (or P/E if you wish) reflects the markets expectations of the future earnings of the company divided by the current earnings times a multiple (times the number of outstanding shares for a market cap).

So I hope you're not one of those "efficient market" deniers.

Apple P/E = 15.75
Google P/E = 26.90

The reason the Market Caps are even so close is the market is forward valuing Google.

Richard:
# file management
# USB host
# widgets (the kind that can go on your home screen)
# choice of "system" clients (email, web browser)
# choice of "launcher / home screen replacement"
# is Google now available for ios?
# hands free operation (of some things)
# digitizer pen (for some of the Samsung devices)

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 08:15 PM ----------

Could be ios can support some if those things, and if so, I'd be interested in hearing, as I use an iPad sometimes for work.

USB host is very important for me, as are the widgets. The pen is useful, and would be even more so on a tablet device. I can't remember if ios has speech-to-text everywhere.

If you are a kernel developer, then you can make android do so much more, since the source is open.

Underwater:

Thanks for the listing. I don't think most people would use most of those, but I can see where some would be useful to some people. What are these widgets, and what's different about them from app.s?

By USB host, are you talking about attaching a USB external drive or the like?

I think only a small minority of the smart phone market is apt to use a home screen replacement/launcher, but some prefer them.

I've heard of Google Now but I don't know what all it does.

Richard.

It should be noted that hardware features will necessarily be vendor specific. Furthermore, even with similar feature sets, usage and interface will be different.

The Android platform is terribly fragmented, and most implementations seem hastily thrown together. Neither Google nor the device vendor are fully responsible for the end user experiencez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom