Apollo bio filter- affect flow rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never used one but I would think that as with most filters age would impact air intake making it more restrictive.

To address performance, the opening down the center of the bio filter tube is the same diameter as your reg hose - so there is no restriction. The air does not have to go through the sponge, it travels down the center of the tube, and some moisture is pulled in as the air passes by some hoses. It does not show any performance drop in my personal use, or on our test bench.
The quote is from Scubatoys.

Post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/83808-apollo-bio-filter-2.html

Post #19

Does anyone know if the Apollo bio filter (carbon filter) has any significant effect on the performance of a second stage by restricting gas flow?

It shouldn't effect the flow, but I don't see a need for it either.

"Moisturizing" the air on the inside of your reg is a horrible idea, since it can freeze, corrode metal parts or grow mold. If you have dry mouth, drink more water and learn to relax while diving, you're dehydrated or working too hard (or both).

The carbon filter is just a poor band-aid, since if you have contaminated air, you really need your tank cleaned and a new gas supplier.

If Apollo wanted to do something really useful, they would make an inline CO monitor that works underwater.

flots

I'm with flots am with respect to usefulness.

As for the original question I would expect little if any effect. it is on the IP side of the regulator, over 100 PSI above the delivery pressure, you are not really breathing though it from a WOB perspective. I agree that it probably has some measurable effect at some extreme point, like if your respiration approached a free flow rate.

Pete

I don't really get a dry mouth or headache etc, most of the time I dive with metal second stages and I think that helps.
My interest was in the micro bio filter (carbon filter) only for traveling, the normal HP filter on the first stage should capture most particulate contaminants but I have occasionally had fills that didn't taste right in some parts of the world.
Thanks for all the feedback

My interest was in the micro bio filter (carbon filter) only for traveling, the normal HP filter on the first stage should capture most particulate contaminants but I have occasionally had fills that didn't taste right in some parts of the world.
Thanks for all the feedback

Just for comparison, the carbon filter for a compressor can easily be one and a half to two feet long. I wouldn't trust something the size of a bite of hot-dog to do any useful filtering.

Generally I don't care what kind of SCUBA gadget people buy, but I really don't like stuff that gives a false sense of security or safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom